VI

After that, I go back to the tent. Thankful that no one was there as I let the tears out. Sobbing into my knees on the floor, I wondered was it all a mistake.

After I cried everything out into my hands, I got up, changing my clothes into a red tight shirt and brown trousers before heading out once again, knowing that I had to go to this dinner with my father, Bow and Ana.

I had no motivation to go. I didn't want to see anyone right now and I knew that was awful. I should be glad to see my father. He has done so much for me and I haven't seen him in so long, he was worried sick and here I was wanting to cry into my pillow over a boy. I had to move on but I knew it wouldn't be easy.

So here I was, sitting down at this large table across from my father and Ana, Bow sitting beside me as I stabbed at my carrots.

Father cleared his throat.

"Boys, I want you to know that I will be leaving the Dry Lands for a few days.."

Of course.

He leaves constantly and I barely see him but when I leave, hell rises.

"-And I'm putting Raen in charge of the camp while I'm gone."

I stop stabbing my carrot at that and look up. Noticing from the corner of my eye the way Bow's shoulders sag in disappointment. I frown at this and turn to father.

"Raen?" I question, trying not to choke on the name.

"Why him? Why not Bow? He's fully capable of handling the camp for a few days while you're gone. He is your son after all."

Father seems taken back by this but raises his brow at me.

"Bow hasn't completed his training yet. He's still too young-"

"What about Malakei then?"

Father grips his knife tightly.

"Malakei?" His eyes twitch at the mention of the boy. I nod nonetheless.

"He has just completed his training. He's a very good fighter. The pirates on François' ship thought him all of their fighting skills and tricks. He's more advanced than any of the other Dry Landers."

"Keylin.." Bow warns in a small voice and I turn to him with a confused look. Jolting in surprise when father stabs his fork into the table.

"That boy.." He grits out lowly. "Is lucky that I don't throw him out of the camp for what he did. He betrayed me when he didn't bring you home immediately. He will never be a soldier as long as I live and breath."

I push my food forward, loosing my appetite completely and I get up from the table. Sending my father a fake smile before thanking him for the dinner and leaving the large tent.

I make my way back to my shared tent with the others. Mood having soured from the dinner. The thought that Malakei wouldn't even be given a chance to show his hard work disgusted me. He was only doing what was best, if it were anyone else they would've done the same thing and helped me. The fact that Malakei is shamed by my father for this, for my mistakes..I knew there was nothing I could do and Malakei will never get to show his skills, because of me.

I was selfish.

When I walked through the tent, I noticed that Malakei was the only one in the room sitting cross legged on the bed with a book in his hands. Baja lying at the end of the bed. He looked up and smiled when he saw me.

"We get the beds tonight." He states as he closes his book and gets up.

"The other two are gone for a late night brunch. How was the-"