XX

Pic ~ Max
*

I stormed through the forest floor. Not taking a second to look around at my surroundings that I had missed. It has been so long since I've been in these green areas and the last time I think I was here was when I was training with Malakei. That's not why I was here though. I was fuming. I was on a mission to find Raen.

When my ears picked up on chattering ahead I quickly walked over, pushing tree branches out of my way and making sure not to trip on vines. When I spotted the Dry Lander attire, I pursed my lips together and walked over to them. One of the Dry Landers spotted me immediately and a look overcame his eyes as he instantly recognised me. He furrows his brows at me.

"Hey, you're not supposed to be here-"

"Shut up." I grumble as I shoved past him, my blood boiling at the Dry Lander's statement. I was more determined to find Raen as I scanned the group of men.

My eyes immediately spotted the more muscular and taller Dry Lander from behind and I stormed over to him.

He turned around however when the Dry Lander in front of him looking at me, widened his eyes at my approaching figure and tapped Raen on the shoulder, making him turn around with furrowed brows.

I placed my hands firmly on his chest and pushed him backwards, sending him spiralling back having being caught off guard but he regains his balance and glares at me in confusion.

"How could you do this?" I exclaim in frustration before pushing him back again. The crease on his forehead eases as the realisation of why I was here and fuming suddenly dawns on him. He doesn't say anything as he lets me push him. Knowing that it was the only way to vent at what he had done to me, to us.

"You have no fucking right to instruct my father to keep me here. That I'm 'safe' here while you leave with the rest of the Dry Landers-"

"I know you're safe here. Once Vixen is here she will make sure no one gets to you-"

"-And you're leaving us." I deadpan, my lip curling up but I bring my hand up to run through my hair in frustration.

"Yes." Raen's lips form a frown.

"I have to Keylin. Some of us decided to go and fight the creatures from the Shadows to delay them in getting here. It will give everyone more time to leave the camp with children to find higher ground."

I shake my head at his words. Not believing what he was saying.

"I'm coming with you."

"No. You're staying here." Raen says seriously but I ignore him and begin to move forward. Moving to an unoccupied horse ahead.

"They won't stop until they're here. Maybe I can stop-"

Raen grabs me by the shoulder and pulls me back around where I was before. He grabs my shirt collar and pulls me closer to him so that our breathing can be seen through the cold air of winter. Raen stares down at me. Jaw clenched.

"You're staying here." He repeats in a low voice, reminding me that I had no choice in the matter. He wouldn't let me go with him and that was the biggest rejection of all. I knew I was going to lose him if I didn't do something but there was nothing left for me to do. Raen was leaving the camp.

"This is suicide." I whisper out, my voice not able to go beyond that. Raen says nothing, instead rests his forehead against mine and lets out a long sigh.

"You're not going to lose me Keylin." He eventually says. Reassuring my mind with his words.

"I promise you."