XXI

-Previously-

"I think it best if you leave." I say in a calm tone and Max's purple eyes turn on me. I watch him tilt his head at me, as if he was studying me. Like I was the most intriguing thing to him.

"We will." Max agrees before stepping forward.

"As soon as we find what we're looking for."

**

I hear Raen throw his axe at one of the other creatures just as I pull my arrow back before letting it fly at Max. I watch as it strikes his head, sending him stumbling back and onto the ground as he lay motionless. I gulp loudly and turn to the creature with the red eyes who I failed to notice coming closer to me than Raen. He hissed at me, showing his polished fangs that were much too large for a normal person. I stumbled back in shock but before I could grab another arrow, his gloved hand was reaching down and grabbing my leg. He pulled my ankle up into the air and I was sent tumbling back onto the hard ground, spluttering and gasping for air.

I feel his gloved hand pushing hard on my chest and my heart stutters. He was crushing my chest. I looked up at him to see him snarling down at me with such anger and disgust.

"How dare you raise your weapon at the sacred. You filthy little insect. I should crush you for-"

Raen yelped and I couldn't look back to see what was wrong as I turned my head frantically. The creature above me smirked dangerously before grabbing my jaw with a gloved hand, forcing me to look at Max's motionless body.

"Look." He drawls out and I cringe. I could feel his sharp fingernails dig into my chin through the fabric of his gloves. Nonetheless I watched Max's body, not to upset the red eyed being any further but when I heard and saw Max's body begin to move, all colour paled from my face.

Max groaned as he got to his feet, dusting himself off of the dirt that had clung to his clothes. He reached up and took the arrow sticking out of his head, only a small bit of blood trailed out. He did it as if it was a regular occurrence. As if it was like scraping dirt from under his fingernails.

"Well." He began to speak as he looked down at the arrow, a small smirk on his features as he broke it in half. My heart was in my throat as I looked at this. Not believing in the slightest that this was happening before my eyes although remembering it happened to me. I died and came back to life. Of course it was with the help of a witch and a soul bond being repaired. What I couldn't get my head around was the fact that he just came back to life like that. Without any voodoo or magic guiding him in doing so.

"I didn't think you would try to kill me but here we are."

Max chuckles before resting his amused eyes on me. He could tell I was afraid now. He seemed to see my fear and this only made his smirk grow.

"W-What are you?" I ask in a quiet voice trying to shuffle back as Max grew closer but the hand on my chin kept me firmly in place, digging painfully deeper into my skin when I tried to squirm out of the red eyed creatures grip.

"I am Maximus Sarcovnia, prince and destined ruler of the Shadows and all of the 5 sectors. I have lived many lives as you can see, I do not die. Only until I have lived my true purpose shall I die."

He shifts his gaze from me.

"These are my brothers. Dosin and Reece." Max informs in a neutral voice as he motions to each of the brothers. Reece was the one holding me down.