XXVI

I woke up in Malakei's arms as he walked through the barrier of the camp. The noise of it being moved back to let us through seemed to have startled me awake and I wish it hadn't. My head was pounding along with my ears, I was freezing beyond belief and I felt really sick. Above all, I felt really weak and barely had the energy to open my eyes let alone shift in Malakei's grip. I could only rest my head on his wet clothed chest as my body moves from the steps Malakei takes.

If Malakei knew I was awake he didn't comment nor did he make any attempt to talk. He stayed silent as did I before the memories of earlier hit and the tears began to fall from my closed eyes.

"M-Mal?" I sniffled as I clutched Malakei's chest tightly, forcing my eyelids to open up to look at him and it was a struggle but I managed to keep them open.

Malakei looks down at me with slightly red eyes and a red mark on the side of his cheek I hadn't noticed was now beginning to show.

"He's d-dead isn't h-he?" I whisper up at him as my teeth begin to chatter. He swallows as he looks down at me before nodding his head and looking ahead of him. Not seeing my face crumble all over again and I turn to hide my face in his chest as I try to hold back the sobs.

"You could've been too if you stayed any longer out there. We are lucky the rain stopped."

"I didn't care about the rain." I whisper and I hear Malakei sigh from above me before we both fall into silence.

Malakei brought me through a tent, I could tell by the sudden shift of temperature and the warmth from the tent made me sigh in relief as I shook in his arms.

I felt Malakei lay me down on the couch and I cringed as my wet clothes soaked into the material but couldn't care less to move. Malakei began to take off my shoes before he helped me forward when he noticed I was in a daze looking down at my blood covered shirt and stained hands. Malakei squeezes my shoulder before beginning to caress the crook of my neck. I slowly blink up at him, eyes swollen, red eyed and sore from crying.

"We have to get you out of these wet clothes Key. I have to get you warm or you'll get hypothermia back. You don't want that do you?" Malakei questions softly with a small smile. I gulped but didn't say anything.

"Key? Come on kiddo.." He encourages but I could tell he was extremely worried as he tried to get me to move or maybe stop me from sinking into my thoughts. I nod slowly as I look at him, my eyes not entirely fixed on him as I do but I can vaguely hear him let out a breath of relief.

"Can you move your arms up for me?" Malakei questions as he begins to peel the wet and bloody shirt from my body, avoiding the areas of blood as he does and begins to pull it over my head. When it's off he throws it to the side and turns back to me but when he catches a glimpse of something on my stomach he frowns and immediately reaches out to touch it.

I wince through my daze and my hand reaches out to grab his but I'm too weak and only manage to touch his hand as he examines whatever it is on my stomach.

"Who gave you this bruise?" Malakei questions as he furrows his brows up at me. "Was this recent?"

I frown and look down at it, wincing at the sight of it along with the memories of that man who gave it to me when I was...

He killed Corrin.

I didn't realise I had been staring angrily at the bruise nor my grip beginning to harden on Malakei's wrist until he brought me out of my memories.

"Key? It's alright, just take your trousers off and pants and I'll get you clothes and blankets ok?" Malakei says as he begins to get up, running his hand through my hair before he moves over to the drawers beside my bed. Lazily I shove my trousers and pants off, not caring if Malakei saw. I was comfortable with him anyways but I didn't care right now, I couldn't bring myself to.