Nine:

The funeral service was beautiful. It was sad at the same time. The attributes to Tabitha and her husband were beautiful. I gave a speech, and brought Teddy up with me.

It's Monday today. That means that I have to go to work. I drive Teddy to his kindergarten. I walk out with him, hand in hand. A lady comes to greet me.

"Hello. You must be Miss Evans. Thomas's godmother." I nod and smile.

"Hey Thomas, why don't you go play?" He says and he laughs, joining his little friends.

"So," She smiles and rubs my back, "I know this journey is going to be long and hard. I'm here to help you. You haven't done this before. I have. Three times. My name is Hannah. I'm here to help you though this. Alright?" I nod slowly.

"Thank you. That means a lot." I smile sadly. 

"Sure." She rubs my back. "It ends at 12. See you then." I nod and head back to the car. It smells like her. It smells like lavenders, her favourite flowers. I breath it in. A tear runs down my cheek. Soon, tears blur my vision, but I manage to drive. I park in the parking lot. I sigh and rub the tears away. I'm alright, I'm going to be okay.

I head into the office, grabbing my laptop bag. I sigh sadly. I quickly sit down at my desk and groan as the pile of paperwork is so high. I start, and almost fall asleep. I better go tell Dylan that I'm here.

I knock on his door. He doesn't answer, but I open the door anyway. I met with a sight that I never ever want to see again. I feel like I keep saying this. It just gets more disgusting the more I see it. It's definitely not something you want to see every single work day. Dylan is kissing another girl. I cough awkwardly, making my presence known.  He jerks out of the woman's reach, and scratches the back of his neck. I cross my arms.

"Oh, Er... hey Alex." He turns to the girl. He winks and points to the door. She whines, but follows the order.

"Honestly Dylan. You're at work." I roll my eyes. He fixes his tie.

"Are you okay Alex? You seem down." He presses. I shrug. I don't need his pity.

"Family issues." He cocks his head to the side.

"I'm sorry about that, if there is anything I can do, just let me know."  He smiles.

"I just need to take my lunch break at twelve. It will only be an hour long." I beg. He shrugs and nods.

"Thanks." I smile.

I head over and bury myself in work. My watch buzzes. It's 11:45. I quickly drive to pick up Teddy.

He runs over to me. "Hey mommy!" He smiles and runs up to me and grips me in a hug.

"I made this for you mommy." He gives me a painted picture. It's of a little stick figure, and a bigger stick figure.

"Is this you and me?" I ask, he nods eagerly. "I love you kiddo." I pick him up and buckle him into his chair.

"Alright. I bought you some colouring in books, and crayons. We are going to mommy's work. You can sit at my desk, and you can watch Thomas the Train. Is that alright baby?"

He nods eagerly and I hand him his books. We arrive at the office and I lead him hand in hand to my office. I brought in an extra chair for Teddy, however, I find him turning around in my chair happily, colouring in with an orange crayon. I laugh.

"What are you colouring in honey?" I ask, holding a file, and filing pieces into it.

"A wolf." He says happily, scribbling with his orange crayon.

"Oh, do you like wolves?" I ask.

"Yes. Jasper is a wolf." He shows me his worn out Teddy bear, which he carries everywhere.

"Why do you like wolves so much?" I ask him, smiling as he cuddles his wolf teddy bear close.

"One time, I watched a thing on the tv, and the wolf was really scary, and then I cried, and then mommy told me that I mustn't be scared of the bad wolf, because she is looking after her baby wolfies. Then mommy gave me Jasper, and she said that he lost his mommy, and that means that I must be his daddy too. You know, I'm just like Jasper. He lost his mommy, and then got a new one. You are now Jasper's mommy and my mommy." He says and sits down on my lap. I run my fingers through his blonde hair. Those simple words made me die inside. I'm his mom. He's lost everything, but he still has me. I still have him.

It was at this moment that Dylan decides to walk outside. He reads a few papers, as he walks over to my desk. He doesn't look up. He mutters to himself, and leans on my desk.

"Alex," He starts.

"Mommy, is this Mr Boss Man?" Teddy pipes up. Dylan drops the file, and spins around looking open mouthed at the three year old sitting in my lap. I laugh.

"Yes baby. This is Mr Boss Man." I smile. "Dylan, this is Thomas."

Dylan still looks shocked.

"Why does he look like that Mommy?" Teddy points to the handsome man in front of me.

"Because, he doesn't know about you Teddy." Teddy cocks his head to the side. Dylan recomposes himself and clears his throat.

"May I please speak to you, in my office?" He asks. I sigh and nod.

"Teddy, will you be a good boy for me, and just sit here. You can watch Thomas the Train if you want to." I ask. He nods eagerly.

"Mommy, can I watch Bob the builder?" He asks innocently. I laugh.

"Yes Baby." He claps excitedly and puts his episode on. I follow Dylan into his office. He is curious.

He closed the door and leans on his desk. He looks like he wants to say something, but he just stands there.

"Well?" I ask and cross my arms over my chest.

"Who's the father?" He blurts. I roll my eyes.

"Honestly Dylan? Why do you need to know?" I snap. His eyes betray him. He wants to know.

"Just, please." He starts. I sigh.

"My brother in law." I state.

"You did IT with you brother in law?" He asks. I shake my head and roll my eyes. Was he serious.

"Gross! Of course not." I state. "Teddy," I take a deep breath, "Thomas is my godson. My sister and her husband..." I bit my index finger, to keep the tears from falling. No Alex. Not here, but my eyes ignore my order and a tear drops down my cheek. I breathe in deeply again, "They passed away on Wednesday Afternoon." I bite my lip. "I'm Teddy's Mom now."

Dylan stands there dumb-folded. He doesn't say a thing and pulls me in for a hug. I just sob into his fancy expensive shirt.

"I'm sorry." I say and wipe his now wet shirt. He shakes his head.

"No. I'm sorry Alex. You've been through so much over these past few days. Why are you at work? You should be at home!" He scolds. I shake my head.

"No! Work is a distraction. If I stay at home, I'll become depressed or something. I'm already going for counselling. I need it. It's something normal. I need normal at the moment." I argue. Dylan sighs.

"Fine. Then you have to promise me one thing, if I let you stay here." He fires back. I cross my arms.

"Yeah?"

"You have to go out with me."

"On like a date?"

"Yes. Just you and me sunshine."