Chapter 35:

I was walking into the hospital once again the very next morning. I had dropped Teddy off at his kindergarten, and it is my last shift for this week.

I walked to our locker room. I found my locker and put my bag inside, as well as my jacket, protecting me from the cold. It's almost summer, but it is still a bit cold, and today there is a nasty little breeze outside.

Today, I am wearing light blue scrubs and a white shirt decorated with sea animals underneath.

I do my normal morning duties. On the schedule, I have to help with an operation with Doctor Roland at nine and follow him around for the rest of the day.

As I walk out the locker room and to the reception to check in, the receptionist tells me that I have to meet Doctor Roland in his office immediately. I know exactly what it is about. Harley.

I walk to his office, trying to take my time, but I cannot take too long, or he will know something is up.

I eventually see his door. I take a deep breath and knock.

"Alex?" He asks.

"Yes, Doc." I reply.

"Come in." He responds quickly and I open the door. I spot him sitting behind his desk. His hands crossed in front of him on the table. I know that pose. I am about to be suspended. I just know it.

"Have a seat." He says, and I do, sitting on one of the two chairs in front of his desk.

Silence follows for a few seconds, and then a sigh.

"What were you thinking?" He asks, looking up to me. I stay silent, not knowing if I should speak or not. "You should have never operated on that boy without a qualified and suitable doctor in the room! Were you mad? The hospital could get sued, and not only that, you can lose your job and your license! What you did was irresponsible and you neglected to think about the consequences of your actions!" He stares at me, angry. I shift uncomfortably on my seat. "Do you have anything to say to this?" He asks. I swallow the spit building up in my mouth, and I nod.

"I knew that I was putting everyone, myself and the hospital, at risk when I did what I did. However, there were no qualified doctors in the hospital and Harley was going to die. I couldn't just sit around and do nothing. I have seen you do hundreds of those operations, even when I was still an intern. I had to do something, and I knew exactly how to do it. In my situation, I didn't have a choice, and if I had to do it again, I would." I explain, making sure to be truthful and honest.

"Well, in that case, it looks like I am going to have to suspend you." He explains. I nod, I had prepared myself for it. "But," he pauses, I perk up slowly. "He would've died if you had not operated at the time in which you did, and his parents understand that. They do, and they are forever grateful to you and what you have done." I think I saw a small trace of a smile on his face.

"So?" I ask, almost wondering what's going to happen next.

"You are late for the operation. Be more responsible Alexander." He scolds, but I can almost hear a small tint of sarcasm in his voice.

"Yes, Doc!" I smile and make my way to the preparation room for the operation, with the doctor in toll.

~~~~~~~~~

The operation went well, as usual. Doctor Roland told me to almost take over, allowing me to do the actual operation while he watched me do so. Music was playing in the background, as he loves working with it, and so do I.

"You did extremely well in there Lex." He says while we are washing our hands afterwards.

"Thank you, Doctor." I smile.

"How many times to I have to tell you to call me Luke?" He smiles and rubs my back. "Now go have lunch." He orders and I nod.

I walk to the locker room to fetch my phone, which, as I find it in my bag, is ringing. It's an unknown caller, but I answer it anyway.

"Hello?" I say.

"Are you Alexander Evans?" The voice asks, urgently.

"I am."

"You are on the list of emergency contacts on Mr Dylan Blake's cellphone." The person on the other end comments. Oh no. Oh no.

"Is something wrong?" I ask, my voice almost fading.

"Mr Blake has been in an accident." They explain. I knew from the moment they said ICE, my heart dropped inside my chest. From the word, "accident", I knew nothing could be good. I swallow my spit, and the back of my through dries out.

"Um..." I start, trying to swallow the lump on the back of my throat. "Where is he?" I ask, my voice almost cracking.

I realise now, that even if he might be my ex-boyfriend, and that if we had a huge fight, and I have not seen him for so long, my heart sinks at the thought of him being hurt. I think I still have feelings for Dylan, and that fact scares me because I never knew I was in so deep. It may have only been a few days, but I realise now that it's been a long time coming. I think it started on the first date, where we went to Central Park and played in the snow. I understand it all now.

"He is at the New York Presbyterian Hospital." The person says.

"Thank you. I'll be there soon" I say, and put down the phone. That's convenient.

~~~~~~~~~
I received permission to leave early. I literally sprinted to the emergency ward. I raced to the reception desk, out of breath, I asked, "Dylan Blake."

"Calm down there Doctor." The nurse behind the desk smiles.

"He has gone in for emergency surgery." She explains and my hand run through my hair.

"What happened?" I inquire urgently. She looks at me sympathetically.

"There was a fire." She states and the phone rings. She picks it up and points towards the waiting chairs. She holds her hand in front of the bottom part of the phone.

"A doctor will be there to explain everything to you." She says and returns to her call.

I walk to the chairs and sit down. My hands hold my head, and I try to focus. I look around the room. I fur my eyebrows. Not one member of Dylan's family is in the waiting room and it's strange. Surely when an accident like this happens they could show up for this? I shake my head in confusion and the doctor calls the family of Dylan Blake and no one steps forward. Instead, I do.