Twenty One:

The rest of my holiday break passes quickly. New Years passes, and we go to watch the ball drop. Devin, Teddy and I. I work my first shift today. I'm nervous, but I have been told that everyone is very friendly, and will be willing to help me. I have done an internship at hospitals before, but now that I have actually been hired, it feels different, and I feel nervous. I drop Teddy off at his school, and I drive to the hospital. When I arrive, I do as I'm used to, from all the internships I've had to do. I grab my key card and put on my scrubs. It's a children's hospital, and so all our scrubs are bright colours, and I put on a Disney Mickey Mouse shirt underneath my scrubs.

Before I know it, I already have 5 different patients. There are two girls, who are sisters who were in a car accident. They were both unconscious when they arrived, and I helped make sure they are stable. I walk to the waiting room and find their parents. The two girls were in the back seat when a small truck crashed into them. The parents were both fine, but the kids weren't.

"Mr and Mrs Harrison." I say, waiting for the called people to stand. A couple does, they look quite young, older than me, probably in their thirties, and they look very worried.

"I'm Dr Evans." I smile, "You are the parents of Georgie and Sofie?" I ask, and they both look at each other and nod. "Sorry, I'm just making sure. Alright, follow me." I lead them to the room, it's an adjoining room, so both girls are inside. "I just want you to know before I explain everything, is that they are both stable. Sofie, your eldest is in a bad position right now, but if she pulls through, she will be alright. She has a chance of having a seizure, due to the area in which her head was hit. I want you both to be prepared. These can sometimes be the after-effects of the accident. Georgie, on the other hand, should wake up soon." I smile sadly, "I'm doing everything I possibly can to make sure that Sofie gets through this alright?"

The parents haven't said a thing since the waiting room. I pause.

"Aren't you a little..." the father starts, and I already know what he's going to say.

"Young?" I finish his sentence, they both nod, "I may be younger than the other doctors, but I promise, I will give you the exact same quality that older doctors will, I have gone through many years of studying and internships to get where I am now, and I promise, I am as qualified and determined as any of those other doctors. Now, would you like to see your girls?" I ask, and the parents both nod happily. They seem more confident and happy. It seems my little talk helped them understand my true intentions.

I stand in the doorway, as I watch the two parents see their daughters. They split up, but I can see the mother is trying to hold back her tears. I walk up to Georgie, who seems to be stirring. Both parents rushed up to her. "Hey honey." The father says, smiling at his little girl. She moans as her little eyes open.

"Daddy," is the first thing she says, then, "Mommy," and then, "Whe-where's Sofie?" My heart broke a little at that.

"She's right there, but she isn't doing so well. We have to pray for her okay?" The mother says, pointing toward the bed that Sofie is in.

"Who's that?" Georgie asks her parents, her chestnut eyes searching mine.

"I'm Dr Evans." I smile at her. "I'm here to make sure you and your sister get better."

"Look, Mommy, Dr Evans has Mickey Mouse on her shirt!" Georgie squeals when she notices my shirt. I smile. It worked.

"You are so pretty!" Georgie says out of the blue, looking at me strangely. I smile.

"Thank you." I grin, "I'm going to take your drip out of your arm okay?" I smile and gently take hold of her little arm. She squeezes her eyes shut I use my fingers to take out the UV from her little arm, she doesn't move or make any signs of discomfort. "It's all done. you can open your eyes now, Georgie. Are you feeling sore or any kind of pain? Be honest so I can give you something for it okay?"

"I feel fine." She says.

"No pain?" I make sure once more.

"No pain." She confirms. 

"It doesn't hurt when it comes out does it?" I smile, "Sounds worse than it is." I squeeze her hand a little. I slide off the gloves.

"Are you married?" She asks, pointing towards the ring on my finger.

"No," I pause, admiring the ring, "My boyfriend proposed to me on Christmas Day, so I will be getting married soon."

"Congratulations!" Georgie's mother smiles at me.

"Thank you. It's quite exciting isn't it?" I smile, "Alright, I'm going to talk to Mom and Dad, and then I'll be back to check on you and your sister okay?" I smile and she nods.

I gesture the parents to follow me outside. "Georgie can go home this afternoon. I just want to keep a close eye on her this morning to make sure she is 100 percent. If she displays any signs of headaches, feels a little bit nauseous, or her ears start ringing, anything you think is out of the ordinary for her, bring her in,"

"Thank you so much for everything." The mother smiles.

"What about Sofie, Doc?" The father asks, I will never get tired of being called that. Doctor.

"Sofie is stable. That's good. I'm still worried, but I will keep a close eye on her." I say.

"How bad is she?" The father looks worried as he asks me. They look at each other. This must be terrifying.

"Umm..." I start, "It's hard to say. Sofie is in the critical stage, but because she is stable, she is fine where she is. If she gets worse, I will move her into the ICU. She is in a coma, which is not good. We cannot know the extent of any injury to her brain until she wakes up. I am doing everything I can to make sure that she wakes up." I give the parents a sad smile and a little space. I walk back into the hospital room.

"How are you feeling Georgie?" I ask the little girl in the bed, she is looking sadly at her sister.

"I'm fine." She says, smiling at me.

~~~~~~~~~
I left the hospital in the late afternoon. Georgie had left with her parents, while Sofie stayed behind, still in a coma. I am fetching Teddy from my parents house. The new arrangement is for them to pick him up after his play school and then look after him until I pick him up after work. He climbed into the car and we drove off.

"How was school?" I ask him, looking in the review mirror. He goes on into a long explanation about how he built a fort and then played with all his friends and I just smiled and shook my head.

"We are meeting Devin tonight for dinner. We are going out to Mama Cristos." I say, referring to a more fancy restaurant with a huge playground and really nice food.

"I can't wait!" Teddy squeals and hums happily to himself in the back. I smile. This little boy is like a ray of sunshine in my life. He's always there to brighten my day, even when it been extremely difficult.

Filler chapter. I'm so sorry. Please stick with me. I am preparing some really juicy stuff so hold onto your seats. I'm excited. We are gonna have a lot more romance and cute moments. Just you wait!!

I'm sorry again. ☹️
Shaylee