Eighteen:

Christmas is approaching fast. Today is my last day at the office, because obviously next year I am going to start my career in Medicine. We are going to have a formal supper, partly for celebrating Christmas.

I have dressed up into a black and white patterned coat, a white shirt, black skirt along with black leggings, black ankle
boots, and finally a black scarf, black gloves and a black bag. I drove to the fancy hotel restaurant in my Audi. Grabbing my bag, I climbed out, taking a deep breath, and found my way to the table.

It was full of my work friends, and her. Dylan's girlfriend. He stood proudly, in his tuxedo, looking handsome. I walked up awkwardly, giving a slight wave to Dylan. His eyes lit up as he saw me.

"Hey Alex!" He smiles widely.

"Hey." I smile softly. He shows me a seat and I'm seated facing him, his girlfriend across from me. She raises an eyebrow at me.

"I'm Alex. It's nice to meet you." I smile, deciding to be the better person here.

"I'm Cathy." She says simply, it sounded more like a grimace than anything else, but hey, I don't have to be her new best friend. The less nice she is to me, the less I have to like her.

The dinner trails on miserably. I make small talk with the others at the table, and it seems Cathy avoids speaking to me at all. Every now and then, I catch a glance of her glaring at me. My eyes also fail to miss her hand on Dylan's.

As the evening trailed to an end, most people had left, and there were only us three. Dylan, his girlfriend and me. I reach in my bag for his present.

"Merry Christmas!" I smile and hand it to him. "It's for in case... you know...I don't see you until then."

"Can I open it?" He asks. I nod. He rips open the present, and inside, he finds the watch. The one had I specially picked for him. He smiles at me. "I really love it. This means a lot. Thank you Alex." He says, pulling me into a hug.

"Your gift as promised." He says, and pulls out an envelope. I rip it open, and inside is the cheque. He paid off my student loan.

"You paid it off. I- Thank you!! Thank you so much!" I pulled him into a hug. He laughed, and hugged me tighter. I pulled away quickly, remembering the fact that he has a girlfriend. He has a damn girlfriend. She was glaring at me. I smiled awkwardly.

"Merry Christmas to you both." I smiled, and headed out the restaurant, the only sound of was the sound of my shoes clicking on the concrete floor of the parking lot. As I climbed into my car, somehow, tears came. They spilled over, and I drove home slowly.

As I reached home, I let my feet guide me into my bedroom and I pulled off all my formal clothing and slipped into sweatpants and a shirt, and put on my rainbow socks that made me happy when I was a kid. I grabbed Oreo cookies, and some milk, and put on the movie, The Man from U.N.C.L.E., with the all time hottie in it, Henry Cavill.

~~~~~~

I woke up the next morning on the couch, feeling utterly miserable and down in the dumps. I walk up the stairs painfully, and climb into the shower, to get rid of the pain I'm feeling. It doesn't work. I climb into jeans and one of my favourite hoodies, and some boots, adding a beanie and a scarf. I walk out the house and drive to pick up Teddy.

I arrive at my parents house, and he comes running outside, fully clothed in his Spider-Man robe and Thomas the Train slippers.

"Look at you my little monkey. Why aren't you dressed?" I ask, picking him up and sitting him on my hip as I walk.

"Because," He says, digging his head into my hoodie, "Nana and Papa said I didn't have to!" He squeals as I tickle him once more.

"Well I say you need to, so off you go and get dressed. We are going home okay?" I look at his little face grinning at me in his usual way.