Spark

Approaching his parents house, he saw someone lurking by the gate as if contemplating on going in, coming closer the girl turned to leave finally deciding not to go in and that is when he realized it was HER.

He haven't seen her in a long time, by just looking at her all the feelings that were locked away started resurfacing, his heart beating like he ran a thousand miles. She looks skinny he thought stepping out of the car before he even knew it.

There she stood eyes wide open, looking at him. A thought flashed at his mind which made him grimaced, if not for fate she would have been Basheer's wife by now probably pregnant too. His heart ached with jealousy, he couldn't help himself. she chose Basheer over him, while he was pining over her love, she was in love with his brother.

"Salam, longest time how are you?" He asked her with genuine concern even though it clearly shows how much Basheer's death have touched her.

"Alhamdulillah, I am fine "she answered not even sure how she found her voice. She hadn't seen him since Basheer's death even though she gad been in mourning , deep down in her heart she didn't forget him and times without number she found her self drifting to his thought, wishing she knew how he was or how he is holding up.

"Don't tell me you are not going in because ummah will not be happy if she hears " he said trying to persuade her to go inside.

"Uhm...actually, I have somewhere else to be" she stammered out.

She looks cute when she is nervous he thought,"okey but you should come in and greet her first then you can leave" he said opening the door for her.

She had no choice but to follow him behind.

"Assalamu alaikum " they but chorused together.

"Wa alaikum assalam" ummah answered putting away the hisnul Muslim she was reading.

"Ummah, look who I found"Ammar said cheerfully.

"My daughter, I was just thinking of calling you to know how you are doing, since  you decided  to forget about your mother"ummah said smiling fondly at her.

"That's not it ummah, I really wanted..." She trailed

Ammar quickly came to her rescue "it's okay ummah, she is her now" he said looking at ummah silently communicating with their eyes.

"That's true, Ammar I want to send you to your grandmother please, she have been complaining about her leg for a while now so your dad got her some medications but haven't given it to her"

"Okey, get it for me so I can drop it off with her, I miss her a lot I have the intention of visiting her soon so I might as well just go now"

"Okey let me get the meds for you" she said standing up to go and get it.

They sat in comfortable silence waiting for her to come back, Salmah tried avoiding his eyes looking anywhere but at him while he keeps stealing glances at her.

"Here it is, you should read the instructions for her before you leave" she said getting seated.

"Definitely because that old woman can't clearly see her hands without the aid of that her tiny glasses "he said laughing.

"Shaqiyi, stop cracking jokes at the expense of my mother tohm" she said stifling a laugh. She hadn't seen Ammar this free in a very long time and it makes her happy that he is finally smiling.

"Let me start going now , ummah"

"You should  take Salmah with you to see your grandma and after that you can drop her off" she suggested looking at Salmah who is just sitting down looking into space thinking of god knows what,immediately she heard her name she looked up but didn't say a word.