Chapter 36 - Think Smarter

Scarlette Thompson

"Granny, Matthew is not bad. He's the one who saved Scarlette." Christian said as I walked back into my room after sending Matthew off.

"No.. I hate him."

"He's the one who went to save Scarlette. He didn't even wear a protection suit, he just went crazy to find her." Marco added. Lauren smiled to me and patted the empty spot beside her on the sofa. I walked slowly and sat down beside her.

"You're lying."

"We will never lie, should I play the CCTV footage?" Christian asked and I raised my eyebrows. Christian took out his iPad and gave it to my grandmother. She looked at the video silently and since I sat across her.. I cannot see anything.

"He never act like this before.. it was new for us too."

"Act? Act like what?" I asked Marco.

"Clumsy and crazily not functioning." Marco answered.

"Matthew is our leader, I bet you know about that. Every command that he says, we have to do it. He's perfect.. in our eyes.. in public eyes.. in his family's eyes.. he can control and manage to be stable all the time but when he found out you were kidnapped.. he was currently in Toronto and he left the meeting room right away. He called us and started to command us to do this and that but none of it connects to you.. he's out of his mind." Lauren said.

"He was worried that whoever kidnapped you will kill you and we need to handle it fast. He commanded us a lot of things but it's not the right thing to do. He was crazy and out of his mind. He was out of control and crazily blinded. Even his dad had to take control.." Marco continued.

"He rushed to the place quickly and bursted into the place without any protection because he was afraid that something bad might happen to you. Well.. you won't want to get on his bad side because Philip's done in his hands. You were there.. laying down lifeless and we called the ambulance to get you but suddenly Philip managed to escape when you and him on the way to the hospital. Philip crashed the ambulance and that got him good. He finished Philip and got you on the helicopter with his dad and Alex." Lauren continued.

"When we brought you to the hospital.. there were no pulse. He cried crazily and never stopped blaming himself for letting his guard down on you. He kept trying to keep you alive and kept telling the doctor that you're not dead yet and he was right.. Your heart started to show a small pulse and here you are.. alive and well." Lauren smiled. That got me good.. I never thought he will done all this. I should thank him more.. and remembering that he will come tonight makes me excited.

"We.. all the 7 Gold Lifes want to apologize for letting the guard down on you. We never thought this will happen and we wanted to say sorry about Kevin too." Christian said to me and I nodded. Suddenly my geandmother put down the iPad and she sighed. I was going to take the iPad but she took it away before even I can reach it.

"I still hate that boy.."

"Grandmother." I said and she pouted.

"What? Don't give me that face!" She hissed and I sighed. My grandmother asked a lot of things to Christian, Marco and Lauren. I felt bad for them because they need to answer every single question that she asked. Apparently.. they love my grandmother and I'm glad to hear that.

At 6 o'clock in the evening, my grandmother decided to go home and have a rest. She bid her goodbye to the Hastingtons and she kissed the side of my head.

"Bye Granny!" We all waved and she left.

"Here.." Christian gave me his iPad and I took it from him.

"I'm sorry about my grandmother."

"Well.. she's a cool grandmother so.. it's fine." Marco answered.

"She's funny." Christian said and I chuckled.

"You know.. Scarlette. I've been in his position too with Cassandra, my girlfriend. She was a mafia puppet and at that time Matthew helped me. Well not exactly helpful but.. he helped me so now.. I want to help him and just to give you a little bit of proof that, that your annoying and grumpy boss is.. a good person and really cares about you.." Marco said and I smiled.

"Thankyou.. thankyou so much."

"You're welcome and.. we have to go now." Lauren said as she looked at the clock.

"But your.."

"Watch it and you can one of the 7 Gold kids to return it. They will visit you a lot starting from now so.. have fun watching." Christian said and they bid their goodbyes. I waved at them and looked at the iPad. I pressed play and started to watch it seriously.

I can't believe that he did all of this for me.. am I really that.. important? I care for him.. a lot and I know where my feelings stands but.. is Matthew really have the same feeling as me?

Suddenly someone knocked the door and I got up from my seat but ended up hitting my knee to the table. I groaned in pain..

"Again?" I looked up to see Matthew in a casual outfit with a big plastic bag in his hand. He rushed to me and checked if my knee's okay. I hid Christian's iPad quickly.

"Well.. At least the table was okay.." He joked and I glared at him.

"Thanks for the caring words, Mr. Lemiere." I said sarcasticly.

"I told you not to call me that.."

"What's that?" I pointed at the plastic bag. He put it on the table and took everything out. My jaw fell and I looked up to him. He literally bought a pizza, fried chicken, pasta, pho noodles, cakes, ice cream and a set of in and out burgers.

"I don't know what you like so.. I bought all of it." He said.

"Thankyou, Mr. Lemiere. You just add a lot of debt to my debt account." I said cheerly and sat down on the sofa again.

"Why aren't you on the bed?" He asked.

"I'm bored.." I said as I patted the empty spot on my right side for him to seat. I smiled widely remembering the CCTV footage that I saw.

"Did you cry when I almost died?" I asked.

"No.. why would I?" He lied.. pretending to be strong and leader-like.. I see.

"Can you pass me that?" I pointed at the french fries at the right corner. He reached it and I leaned my face closer to him and when he turned his head to me. I gave him a peck on his lips.

"Oops.. Sorry." I said and his eyes widen. "Thankyou." I took the french fries and ate it.

"You saw the footage, didn't you?" That got me shock, I turned to him disbelief.

"How did you know?"

"Next time.. Think smarter when you want to hide Christian's iPad.." Shoot!