Snowball 1983

It was the day of the Snowball. Everyone was excited. Everyone except Mike and his friends. None of them, not even one, had found a date for the dance. They all sat around in Mike's basement, wearing their tuxes. The dance was starting in an hour.

"I still can't believe I couldn't get a date!" Lucas exclaimed.

"It's more of a shocker that I didn't get a date. I mean, I'm flawless dude," Dustin said, raising his eyebrows up and then down.

"That's weird Dustin, stop it," Lucas said, making a disgusted face.

"You're just jealous of my good looks," Dustin taunted.

"You wish," Lucas said.

Will sat on the couch nearby, next to the table. Some toys were scattered. He picked one up and started meddling with it.

"What's that?" Mike asked.

Will shiwed him Rory.

Memories of El started flooding back.

We can go to the Snowball. Promise? Promise.

Goodbye Mike.

El! El! El where are you?!

"Mike, hello. Earth to Mike," Lucas said, waving a hand in front of Mike's face.

"Stop it," Mike said, pushing his hand away.

"You totally just zoned out Mike," Dustin said.

"We should get going to the dance. Even if we don't have dates, we can have fun, together," Will said.

All of the boys started running up the stairs. Everyone except Mike. Lucas paused for a moment on the staircase.

"Are you coming?" Lucas asked.

"I think I'll pass," Mike replied.

"Come on! It'll be fun!" Lucas encouraged Mike.

Mike just looked downward.

"I broke a promise."

"What?"

"I told El that I would take her to the Snowball. I promised."

"Mike, if El were here, she wouldn't care. She would want you to have fun."

Mike was silent.

"Fine, whatever. Bye Mike," Lucas said, just before racing up the stairs.