Lurking in the Shadows

~Mike's POV~

The boys and I had recently arrived at my house after many hours at the arcade.

"I still can't believe I couldn't beat Max's high score!" Dustin complained.

"She's amazing, that's why you couldn't," Lucas said.

"Aw, Lucas and Max sitting a  tree-" Dustin started, but Lucas jabbed him with his elbow to stop Dustin's teasing.

"Ok, ok! Sorry!" Dustin said.

"Do you guys want to spend the night? I mean, it's getting late, and with everything going on right now, it probably wouldn't be the best idea to be riding home at night alone," I said.

"Yeah, you have a good point," Will agreed. "I just need to call my mom so she doesn't worry."

"Me too!" Lucas and Dustin said.

The boys went upstairs to call their moms on our phone. Afterward, they all came running back downstairs.

"So, what should we do?" Will asked.

"We should watch a movie!" Dustin suggested.

"But which movie?" Lucas asked.

"I think my mom has the Jaws movie somewhere," I said.

"Yeah! That movie was great! We should totally watch it!" Dustin exclaimed.

"I liked the second Jaws better," Will said.

"No way! The first was the best!" Dustin argued.

The two started arguing for a few minutes while I went upstairs looking for the movie. When I came back, they had finally settled down.

The four of us grabbed some blankets and pillows, and we started the movie.

~~~

It was about two hours later and the movie had finally finished. I looked around the room and the others had fallen asleep. I decided I should get some rest too.

I rested my head on my pillow and tried to fall asleep. It seemed so difficult. I twisted and turned, and I just couldn't sleep.

Then, I heard a noise. It sounded like it came from outside.

I stood up and carefully walked over to the basement door. I peered out the window, trying to see if anything, or anyone, was out there.

I was about to go back to bed when I thought I heard the noise again.

I was a little reluctant at first, but I eventually opened the door. I stepped outside into the cool night air. I didn't see anything, and the noises had stopped. I waited for about ten seconds and then turned to go back inside.

Then, I heard the noise again.

Something was there. Someone was there, lurking in the shadows.

I started feeling a little nervous.

"Who's there?" I asked.

Someone was watching me, I just knew it.

"Show yourself!" I shouted.

And then everything went black.