Promise

~El's POV~

Mike and I sat on the couch together, watching TV. Suddenly, the radio started beeping. I quickly rushed over to the wall where the morse code was printed.

"L A T E," I read aloud.

"Late," Mike repeated.

I went back over to the couch and sat down next to him. He reached for my hand. I took it gladly, interlacing our fingers. I rested my head on his shoulder.

Suddenly, an Eggo commercial came on.

My eyes glinted with excitement and curiosity. Mike saw how intently I watched the commercial and started giggling. I started to laugh too.

Our laughter was interrupted by a pounding on the door. Both of us went dead silent. I was waiting to hear Hopper's secret knock.

Finally, after a pause of silence, I heard his secret knock. I used my telekinesis to unlock the door.

Hopper walked in. He shut the door behind him. He looked kind of anxious.

"Kids, we need to have a talk," he said, right before sitting down on a chair across from where we sat on the couch.

"Last night, when you were attacked, it wasn't just Hawkins Lab Agents chasing you," Hopper said.

"What do you mean?" Mike asked.

"I had a talk with Dr. Owens today. He said that another girl named 007 was involved in the incident which happened last night," he said.

I started thinking about 008. Kali was a sister to me. I was confused. Why would sisters try to chase each other and hurt each other's friends?

"What are her powers?" Mike asked.

"The lab doesn't know, but they said she is a very big threat," Hopper said, nervously. I could tell he was worried by his expression and his eyes.

I turned to try to read Mike. He was a lot better at concealing how he felt. What gave him away were his big brown eyes. They looked anxious and glossed over with fear.

"We should get you back home kid," Hopper told Mike.

Mike nodded and tried to stand up. He winced and reached for his side.

"Are you okay?" I asked him.

"Yeah, I'm fine," Mike said, trying to smile. I could tell he was still worried. Worried about me.

We took off to the door, following Hopper to the car. As we got into the back seat, I reached over to whisper into Mike's ear.

"Don't worry Mike, I'll be fine," I told him.

He smiled, looking a little more relaxed.

"Promise?" he asked me.

"Promise," I said.

I just hoped Mike would be fine too.