An Unpleasant Surprise

~Mike's POV~

It was late June. They boys and I were going to go ride our bikes to the new dessert place. People said it had the best ice cream in all of Hawkins. I guess I was a little excited.

I waited on my porch for the guys to come. I saw them riding up. There was Will, Dustin, Lucas and-

"Hey Mike!" A girl with red hair called.

Max was here. All of my excitement diminished at that moment. I rode my bike up next to Will's.

"What's she doing here?" I questioned Will.

"Uh, well, Lucas invited her. I thought you two were friends?" Will asked.

I laughed.

"Max and I? That's what she thinks," I said.

"What the heck Mike? Why don't you like her?" Will questioned me. He was getting kind of angry.

"I don't dislike her, it's just, I don't want her in the party," I said.

"Why not? El was in the party," Will stated.

"THIS IS DIFFERENT!" I yell, a little too loudly. Lucas, Dustin, and Max start staring at Will and me conversing.

"Never mind. Sorry," Will says, pedaling up ahead. Dustin rides by, giving me a look that almost says, Really Mike?

I hear Lucas trying to talk to Max, but she just seems to be focused on something else. Or someone else.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~Max's POV~

"THIS IS DIFFERENT!" I heard Mike yell from up ahead.

I watched as Will's expression changed, and said something I couldn't quite make out. Will must have been upset, because he pedaled ahead of Mike, leaving him behind. Dustin followed him.

Lucas had a worried look on his face, but then he turned to me and gave me a kind smile. I smiled back at him. It was pretty obvious that he and Dustin were constantly trying to please me. I thought it was kind of cute.

Lucas tried to say something to me, but I zoned out. I was concentrated on Mike. I had mixed feelings about the boys. Will was really nice, but sometimes it almost felt like he wasn't all there. Dustin was funny, and he always tried to please me. Lucas was always kind to me, and just like Dustin, Lucas always tried to get my attention.

For some reason though, I had a weird feeling about Mike. Sometimes he annoyed me so much, that I just wanted to slap him. But I felt like there was more to him that meets the eye. I hate to admit it, but think I had a crush on him. 

We all continued riding in silence for the rest of the way.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~Will's POV~

We arrived at the new desert place. The place was called, Beth's Eatery.

I parked my bike in the bike rack. I watched as Dustin, Mike, Max, and Lucas pulled up behind me. We all walked inside to get some of the ice cream we'd heard so much about. Hopefully, it would be worth it after the long bike ride.

It wasn't that I didn't like riding my bike. I thought it was fun actually. What I didn't like was having Mike get so sensitive over everything. I know he's been hurting, and I want to be there for him, but sometimes he just takes his anger out on the wrong people. Just because he's broken, doesn't mean he has the right to do that.

We walk inside and wait in the very long line. It is insane how many deserts they have here! It definitely looks like the food will be great.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~Mike's POV~

As we wait in line, I hear a gun fire. Everyone is startled, as we turn to the door to see two men in ski-masks holding guns and bags.

"GET DOWN EVERYONE! THIS IS A ROBBERY! YOU WILL LET US PASS, OR ELSE!" One of the men shouts. A can hear a child crying. I watch as her mom hugs her tight.

The woman behind the counter steps out of the robber's pathway, her hands in the air.

Satisfied, the men throw the money into their bags. I just can't stand it any longer. My friends and I are leaning against the counter. I feel like I should do something. I glance at Will, but he doesn't notice me. Max does though. Her face all of a sudden goes pale, as she realizes what I'm about to do.

What do I have to lose anyways?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Cliffhanger! Thank you all so much for 900 reads! It means so much to me! More chapters are coming soon! ~Rocky