Chapter 26

Shraddha's POV:
"Shraddha." My name rolled off his tongue so smoothly. I blinked back the tears that were begging to break their barriers and let a small smile take place on my lips.

"Will that be all sir?" I asked.

"Oh um yes that'll, that'll be all!" He says not breaking eye contact.

"Great, I'll be right back with your orders." I say with a fake smile as I collected the menus. I gave the paper in which I wrote down the order on to the cook and got their drinks ready. I asked one of my friend to serve the table for me, as I went to the break room. I shut the door before pressing my back against the door. Here it comes, the pain I've been avoiding. It comes rushing in big waves and just may drown me. It's ready to pull me under and take the breath straight from my lungs. This time, I'm not sure how to swim to safety.

My heart pounded against my chest as if it were to pop right out. Seeing him again after so long awakened something inside me. I was surprised to find myself feeling sad rather than joyful as I would have imagined. A powerful instinct was telling me to run away, so I did. I untied the strings of my apron and neatly folded it and placed it in my locker.

I grabbed my stuff and quickly exited the diner. The slight chill breeze blew right through me as I walked through the busy streets of Manhattan. I somehow made it to the apartment and decided to stay there for a while. I decided for now, that it was best if I stay in my apartment before he could find me.

Thinking staying in my apartment for the entire day would somehow made me feel better, I was in fact wrong. It was only around 8 in the evening that I decided to leave the apartment again hoping maybe fresh air will somehow cure my thoughts and my feelings.

Staring at the city at night was breathtaking. The midnight breeze blowing through my hair, as I sit on a lonely bench in Central Park. Thoughts constantly running through my mind since I seen him.

Letting out a deep sigh, I hear shuffling from behind me. I didn't have to turn around to know who it was. It was him, I always felt a sudden way whenever I felt his presence around me.

"Found you." He says.

"So you found me, what's next?" I asked mentally debating to turn and face him.

"Why?" He asks and I stand on my feet and turn to face him. 

"I loved you." I say with tears welling in my eyes as I stared at him.

"I know you did, and I loved you. But I wasn't right for you." He says defending his choice.

"That wasn't your choice to make, it was mine. I decide who I want to spend my life with and I cannot tell you how many times I prayed to God begging for that to be you. But you, you left. You left because you thought you knew what was best for me when it was you who was best for me." I say letting the tears finally break their barriers. He goes to say something but something holds his tongue so I take it as my cue to speak.

"For the longest time, I was mad at you. I felt like you led me on, and maybe you did, but I realize now that it wasn't your fault. You didn't love me, and that's okay. You weren't my fairytale ending and I can't blame you for that."

"Just stop right there okay! Stop acting like you're fucking innocent." He says.

"What?"

"Why did you run away?" He asks. "I did everything I could for you. Then you left me, I never mistreated you nor did I ever misbehave with you. I literally went out on a limb for both you and your family and in the end you left me." He says.

"You left me!" I shout facing him.

"I came back and stood at the alter for you only to find you left me. I was even dreaming of my future with you." He says and I chuckle.