Chapter Seven

Hope you are enjoying the story so far?

Please make a comment or vote!

I want to give a shoutout to the first person who read and didn't just pass on. He made a comment! @colorsofleaving

Thanks

The lavish mansion, the Hawthorne Manor, which belonged to the Hawthorne family, is to be our new home. The land spread beyond where my ordinary eyes could see. It has so many bedrooms and baths that I couldn't count. They are all glamorously decorated and beautiful. My room is so beautiful, I feel if I sleep in it, I may never wake up. It is all so hard to take in.

As soon as we arrive at the house the following morning, just as the prince had said, the whole staff were waiting outside. I was introduced to them by the valet of the mansion. As soon as the introductions were over, our things were taken to our respective rooms and we were ushered into the sun room as it was called. I guess its because the room is painted in a golden yellow tone and white colour. It also has the same colour of tapestries and furniture.

Before we left to the airport that evening, the prince had asked me to destroy any evidence as to my past. That we are to leave nothing to chance. He also told us to wear clothes that befitted a lady and her lady in waiting. No more old clothes or worn shoes. Everything is to be new. While on the flight down to the King's City, we had rehearsed our various roles and identities and the prince had told me to stop addressing him as 'Prince Ovian'. I should just simply call him Ovian.

A few minutes after we got there, Ovian said he needed to leave, that he had another engagement he had to attend. As I accompanied him out to his car, like I'm supposed to, I thought to, sort of, thank him. All of this was well beyond what I had thought.

He stood by his car and turned towards me. I was wearing a simple ivory lace dress which had a tight bodice that showed off a little cleavage. His gaze fell on my cleavage and I was uncomfortable again. Ignoring his gaze, I ventured. "I want to thank you for all this." I licked my lips out of nervousness. "Er... I know this must have cost you a great fortune but I promise to...er...do my best to make our arrangement work." I finished and looked up into his eyes.

All of a sudden, he leaned down and kissed me. He merely brushed his lips on mine but it was a kiss none the less. I gasped and stumbled back. He reached out to hold me steady. "What was that for?" I asked trying to control my raging hormones.

He pulled me closer to his tall frame. "People will be curious. Even your staff. We don't want to disappoint them do we? Love is the only reason I would be crazy enough to marry the sickly daughter of the late Duke Hawthorne." He grinned.

I couldn't breathe; I wanted to pull away and at the same time I wanted to wrap my arms around his neck and never let go. "You can let me go now." I whispered.

"Not yet." He said, enjoying my discomfort.

I took a few deep breaths and asked, "Whatever happened to the real daughter of the duke?"

He grimaced and let me go, putting his hands into his pockets. "She died."

"Oh my God. I'm so sorry. Were you friends?"

He nodded. "But don't worry, I am the only person who knows that she actually died. Everyone else just thinks she's being taken care of somewhere far away. Well, not anymore, since you are here in the flesh."

"Can I ask another question?" I asked. He nodded. "Why are you not the heir apparent?"

He stared at me for a few seconds responding, "Aren't you satisfied with just being my wife? Are you aspiring to be queen already?"