Chapter Nine

The dreams of Ovian taunting me, telling me he owned me just didn't allow me sleep. After turning and turning, I finally got up, looked at the time on my phone and realized it was already 5am. I turned on the light and went to my wardrobe. I was determined to make this sacrifice for a greater good. I wasn't doing this for comfort, I was doing it so that every single woman like me, who are out there, will have a chance at a better life. Ovian is not going to distract me from my cause. So, I will not dwell on what happened last night or his cruelty or wonder if that is the kind of life waiting for me as his wife.

He had said we were making our first appearance in public this evening, and since haven't chosen the dress to wear, I can as well start now. I didn't even know where we were going. No matter, I thought, as I decided on a beautiful gold dress that was still in its sheath. I pulled it out and laid it on my bed. I searched for the shoes that would go with it and jewelry. I made sure I kept myself busy throughout the day. I wrote out my plans and goals I wanted to achieve when I eventually get to the palace. I practiced ladylike mannerisms with Taylor. I made Jasper teach me some table etiquettes. Much to his surprise, but I told him I had long forgotten how to because I have been eating by myself for so long. He believed me and gladly taught me. By 1pm, I was exhausted and decided to sleep since I hadn't slept during the night. It was Taylor who woke me up.

"Tania? Wake up! You are going to be late!"

I groaned. "What time is it?"

"Past four. Ovian will be here soon."

I shot out of bed. "Oh my!" I quickly rushed into my bathroom and took a quick shower. When I came out, Taylor, had laid out my dress for me, my shoes and jewelry were waiting as well.

I smiled. "Thank you, my lady." I knew she had questions about last night but she didn't say anything. I was glad she didn't ask because, honestly, I wouldn't know how to explain last night.

Quickly, I wore my dress, which molded into every curve in my body. Taylor helped me clasp the necklace onto the nape of my neck and its matching bracelet on my wrist. After a few strokes of eye pencil, mascara and lip gloss, I was good to go. Just then Jasper called through the door.

"My lady, Prince Ovian has arrived and requests your presence."

"I will be there shortly!"

I turned to collect my clutch from Taylor and she said, "Tania, I don't know what happened yesterday but I want you to remember, it happened yesterday. Today is a new day. Tonight is special. You and Ovian may be faking it but if that is what it takes to achieve your dreams, then fake away."

I chuckled at her choice of words. And I hugged her. "Thank you Taylor. Don't wait up for me because I don't know how long we will be out."

"Don't worry. I will be here waiting for you." She opened the door for me. "Go knock 'em out!"

I giggled like a little girl. Taylor is like the sister I never had. Always looking at life from angles one would not imagine. I held my head up high, prepared to face Ovian.

He was standing by the window, looking out as I came down the stairs. He turned around to watch me but I concentrated on my steps. If I fall down the staircase in these heels, I will surely die. As I was about to take the last two steps, he walked to the base of the stairs and held out his hand. I hesitated, then I took hold of his hand and allowed him lead me down.

I still didn't look at him

I still didn't look at him. He reached under my chin and raised my face to his. I had to look up into his blue eyes. "I am sorry." He said. "I am sorry about the way I behaved last night. And for the insults I threw at you." He leaned down and brushed his lips over mine.

Then he took my hand and asked, "Are you ready?"

I nodded. I didn't trust myself to speak.

"And you look beautiful tonight. The press are going to have a field day."

I smiled. He led me out to his car, where the chauffeur was waiting with the door open. Jasper was waiting by the entrance too.

He bowed. "Have a good evening, my Prince, my Lady."

We both nodded at Jasper. Before I got into the car, Ovian introduced the chauffeur.

"Darling, this is Percy."

Percy bowed low, and said, "My Lady."

I smiled at Percy and looked at Ovian pointedly, before getting into the car. A few minutes after we had left the estate, he raised the glass partition that prevented the driver from listening in on our conversation and turned to me. "You didn't say anything back there?"

"Anything about what?" I asked staring out the window.

He sighed. "I said I was sorry."

"Oh that. I heard you."

"Tania, if we are going to make this work, we need to understand each other."

"You mean I need to listen to you."

"Yes. You don't know these people. You may think you do but you don't."

"I agree."

"You agree?"

I sighed too, and looked up at him. "Yes, Ovian I know. Especially, with the circumstances surrounding my sudden appearance after everyone thought Charlotte was dead. I know we have to be careful."

"Good. Because the press are going throw you some questions that may throw you off your game." 

"I am prepared for that Ovian. Don't worry. As long as you are by my side, I will be okay. By the way, where are we going?"

"A charity event. The Annual People's Ball. It has been a custom for years. The money goes into orphanages and the public schools."

"Really? So there's an event that raises income for the poor?" I asked in surprise.

"Yes." He said. "Many in fact. We are here." He turned to tuck a lose strand of hair behind my ear. "Ready?"

I nod.

He opened the door and stepped out. He turned and reached for my hand, I took it and came out of the vehicle. Suddenly, there are so many flashes of light. I shielded my eyes against them with my purse but as I got close to where the reporters are, the questions came, insensitive and to the point.

"Lady Hawthorne, welcome back!"

"Do you have the same disease as your father?"

"Where have you been all these years?"

"Are you and Prince Ovian an item?"

"Are you back for good?"

I looked up at Ovian, who nodded his head, giving me the go ahead to address the questions. And so, I turned to the reporters and responded.

"Hi, everyone. My name is Tania Hawthorne. You all knew me as Charlotte but for personal reasons, I would like to be called Tania. So, yes, I am back for good and no, I don't have the disease my father had, if I did I wouldn't be alive today. As you can see I am well and sound. I have been away from the country to secure treatments but now I am back with the love of my life, Prince Ovian." I said as I smiled at him and he smiled back.

All the while I was talking, I had no idea, I had been holding his elbow tightly. I quickly released it and apologized. "Its okay. You did well. Have you ever considered becoming an actress?"

I looked at him. "Don't start, Ovian."

He chuckled and took my arm in his and led us inside where the event was taking place.

Yes! Paul Wesley is my muse for prince Ovian. He has the perfect brooding and gentle face I want. Not to talk about his hawtness! 😉 And maybe also because he's my favourite good vampire character.

Next chapter soon!