Chapter Thirty-Seven

The day wore on with many more activities. There were musical displays by several groups. Many more people brought us gifts. Dignitaries from other kingdoms were present to show their support and give advice and gifts as well. I was tired already. I just sat there watching as people danced and generally enjoyed themselves. I wondered how Ovian could look so comfortable. Then I remembered that he had been groomed for this position early on in his life. We hadn't said much to each other because people just didn't give us the time.

The crown on my head was beginning to give me a headache. I itched to take it off. Thankfully, it's not compulsory I have to wear it all the time. Only at official events. Thinking about events, will I be able to run my foundation? Now that I can be approved to sit on the Council, will I be allowed? I sighed. So many questions but no answers. Yet. I thought as I smiled at a couple who were bowing before us.

It wasn't long Lord Gringham came to stand before Ovian and asked to approach the throne. Ovian nodded and he stepped forward.

"Finally, I have news about Lahran and his mother." He leaned forward. "After a long night, a sober Lahran finally confessed to knowing about the Queen's plan to kill the King. The queen also confessed but she claims she did it all by herself." He said.

"That's a lie! She's trying to protect her boyfriend." I snapped.

"Yes, I know, my Queen but since she has refused to give names, we have no choice-"

"I have a name." I said. Ovian looked at me. "Last night, before Lahran's confession, I was coming to tell you that I had met the wife of the Queen's boyfriend."

"How?" Lord Gringham was surprised.

"Apparently, the poor woman had just found out herself and anyway its a long story. But her name is Isabelle Castle. She said they are not nobles."

"Thank you my Queen, we will begin our search immediately now that we have a name. I will get back to you with more news later." As he stepped back to leave, I forestalled him.

"Lord Gringham, what about my place on the Council?"

His eyes glinted in amusement. "My Queen, no royalty can be on the Council. But you can provide someone who can, if the person is approved by the King, then we can allow it."

I nodded and the old man took his leave. I looked at Ovian who was watching me with an amused smile on his face.

"What?" I asked mirroring his smile.

"You never let up do you?"

"No way, my King. I have a role to play remember?"

He chuckled and then took my hand. "I love you," he whispered for my ears only.

I looked into his eyes and responded, "I love you too."

It was almost sundown before we left the banquet. I was both exhausted and relieved. As I trudged down the corridor towards our new quarters, I asked to see Taylor. The last time I had seen her was when she was preparing me for the coronation.

OVIAN'S POV

To whom much is given much is expected, I thought as I pulled off my heavy robe. Thank goodness the whole thing had been successful. But I haven't been able to shake off the sad feeling that had been over me since last night. I didn't like the way I became King. I wished my father was alive or had died peacefully. I wished that I didn't have the power to sentence anyone to death. Above all, I wished that they weren't people I had called brother and mother all my life.

I wondered what I was going to say to Lahran. If he had not partook in my father's murder, I would still consider him to be my brother even if we were not related. But what he did was treasonous. Sighing, I considered another challenge. Becoming King means a total wardrobe overhaul. I can't wear whatever I wanted anymore.