Chapter Thirty-one

It was the evening before Lahran's opening of the King's Chapel. The whole palace was alive with activities towards its opening. I still wasn't sure if the renovation of a chapel was an achievement. Apparently, in the mind of Lahran Lancaster it was. But as I have come to realize, royalty has to be indulged. You have to let them be as foolish as they want.

As for I and Ovian we are getting there. Although, he hasn't been around since the day after my appearance before the council, he has been in touch. A message here, a call there. He was due to be back tonight so he can also attend his brother's 'achievement'. Earlier on in the day, I and Taylor had gone shopping and gotten some new dresses and the works.

We had spent hours trying them on and laughing at our foolishness. I had sent my assistant home early, soon after we had finished discussing our plans for the Singles' Ball on Festival weekend.

I was walking back to my quarters, from Taylor's, when I met Lahran on the way. He was looking quite handsome and smug. Like there was something he knew that I didn't. I was actually hoping it may be good news about his father, until he opened his mouth.

"I have the annulment papers ready, Princess."

I stopped and glared at him for a few seconds before walking swiftly into my rooms. I attempted to close the door in his face but he put his foot in.

"I think you will need to hear what I have to say first." He said, still smug. I let go of the door and allowed him in.

He walked in and sat on the couch, then patted the seat beside him for me to sit. When I didn't respond because I was fuming. He said, "Please," and patted the couch again.

I reluctantly sit down and cross my legs. I was wearing a yellow short shift dress that I casually wear around the house or to Taylor's place. As I crossed my legs, it rode up much higher than was appropriate, showing my smooth white thighs, so I uncrossed my legs and sat up straight instead. The whole time I was doing all this, Lahran's eyes never left my legs or thighs. Which made me uncomfortable but I stood my ground and willed his eyes back onto my face.

He smiled. "You are a beautiful woman Princess. A true princess. You are smart, intelligent, mouthy, everything I love about a woman. It's a pity that when you came back from that facility, that you went to find Ovian instead me who is the heir apparent. You were promised to me. I can't still fathom why you would choose a mere prince to a king. But that's what I love about you. You are not materialistic or power hungry. You will make a great wife and queen for my kingdom. I want someone as strong as you, who is not afraid to say what she means, who can hold her own no matter what. And that is why I want to give you this annulment document to present to Ovian as soon as you can, so we can be together. We can have our marriage the same day with our coronation." He finished. All the while he was talking, I realized that this man in his warped way was actually in love with me. If I am going to tell him off, I will have to do it wisely.

"Are you through"? I asked him.

He nodded.

I began to talk to him like I'm talking to a mentally challenged child. "Lahran, I appreciate all that you have said and sincerely, I am overjoyed that I have someone like you by my side." I said slowly. "Someone I can trust and lean on for support. But you are like a brother to me. I don't love you in the way you love me. Moreover, I and Ovian are working out our issues. And no matter what happens, we will make our marriage work."

"Hmmm." He scoffed. "Ovian will get back to his mistress. It's in his DNA to have them. If it's not Alex, he can easily find another. Don't you see I will never hurt you like that!"

This guy does have dire issues and my patience was wearing thin. "Even if Ovian finds another mistress or gets back with Alex, I will deal with it if it happens. Because, as far as I'm concerned, its not enough excuse to annul our marriage."