Chapter Twenty-seven

How am I going to raise twenty million dollars in two days? That was the question that woke me up this morning after a few hours of sleep. When I got back home yesterday, I had called my assistant and asked her to find out how much I had in my account. She had called back to tell me it was a little over five million dollars. That was nowhere near what I needed. I had combed through my jewelry and all of it won't bring me more than a few hundred thousands.

I got out of bed and went into the sitting room. Today was Sunday, who can I call? Who can I ask for such an amount of money without saying why?

Fairweather

My mind supplied. "No way!" I say out loud.

He can afford it but for a price.

What could be the price?

Why don't you find out?

A few seconds later, I was calling my assistant to get me Lord Fairweather's whereabouts and get back to me ASAP.

As I finished dressing up, my phone sounds, telling me that I have a message. It was the whereabouts of Lord Fairweather.

Now the next challenge was to ditch my bodyguard but I didn't have a car, moreover, I couldn't drive. But if I can get out of the palace unnoticed, I can get a cab. I couldn't believe I was contemplating all of this without telling Taylor.

As I left the living quarters of the palace, Percy walked forward. He had been leaning against the wall. As he reached me, I said, "Don't worry, Percy. I am just going to the Sunday market. I can take a cab."

"I am sorry my Princess, but as long as you are outside these walls, I cannot let you out of my sight." Hr said, his face grim. 

"I understand Percy. Today is Sunday. I give you permission to rest. Don't worry-"

He shook his head. "Its either I come with you or I lose my job."

I pursed my lips. Can I trust him? I knew he reports every event to Ovian. "But the limousine will look out of place at a market." I protested.

"Then we take the Range Rover." He suggested. 

"Oh. Okay then. I will wait while you bring it around."

"My princess, its always ready for use," he gestured towards the car that was parked a few meters away under a metal canopy.

This man wasn't giving me any space. He knew his job well. As I walked to the jeep, I contemplated another challenge, after lying that I was going to the Sunday market, how do I tell him to head towards Fairweather's estate?

As soon as we left the palace, Percy asked, looking at me through the rearview mirror, "Where are we going?"

I looked up at him sharply. "How did you know?"

"I simply read your body language. And when you were doing your best to ditch me, I confirmed that you wanted to go somewhere you wouldn't want anyone to know about."

I laugh nervously. "You are good, I will tell you that." I sighed again. "I am going to the Fairweather estate. And I don't want Ovian to know."

He nodded and continued driving.

I felt I needed to tell him why, so he doesn't assume something else. "What I am going to see him about -"

"I don't need to know my Princess," his eyes piercing through the mirror. "As long as you are safe?"

"I will be safe."

He nodded again.

I let out a long breath. Now, the next challenge, what price will I be willing to give Fairweather for twenty million dollars?