Chapter Sixteen

"Oh my!" I exclaimed, staring at the woman I had just met in the flesh a few minutes ago. The picture on Taylor's phone screen didn't do her justice. She was more beautiful in the flesh than in these photos.

"Apparently, they have been together for years. According to reports, it's not a new thing especially as his mother was the king's mistress too. And-" She stopped.

"And?" I asked putting down her phone.

"It will continue even after you are married."

I breathed. When making plans, it was imperative one had all the facts together before launching. So stuffs like this will not catch one unaware. A mistress. Although he had promised not to touch me, I hadn't thought about it. I just assumed he would have other women, discreetly of course, not a mistress that he could attend functions with, go on vacations with and even have children by.

The headache I had felt earlier, returned. The plan was to stay married to him until his father dies and I will be free. In that time, I will not have any children or expect any commitments from him as my husband. If his father lives for another ten years before he dies, and he lets me go, what will I do when I become free? How can I live with him for ten years without really having him except his name and title? Can I live with someone else owning him? Taking my place? Having his children?

"Tania?" Taylor called softly. "I know what is going on in that mind of yours but you have to calm down. Ten years is a long time. A lot can still happen."

I nodded, wringing my hands in my lap.

"Remember when you said for your cause to have a fighting chance at success, you will have to make sacrifices? This is one of the many sacrifices."

Taylor was right. I closed my eyes and took a deep breath. I needed to focus on the big picture.

I opened my eyes and turned to her, "Thank you," I said sincerely, looking her in the eye.

She smiled and took my hands in hers. "That's what I'm here for."

We remained silent until we got to the house. I noticed Ovian's car in the driveway, so I knew he was around. I braced myself to see him and look like I was excited about the wedding.

As soon as I got in, Jasper informed me he was in the Sunroom. I headed in that direction, asking Jasper to bring me some freshly squeezed orange juice.

"Tania." Ovian nodded as he took in my appearance.

"My prince," I responded as I make my way to sit on the long chaise in the room, opposite him.

He sighed. "Mother says you declined her designer."

I gasped. "Who will she report me to next? The council members?"

"Don't be like that Tania, you know she's used to getting her way."

"And I'm not about to join that train. And if you have come here to ask me to allow her have her way with the wedding, then you are too late."

Ovian smiled. "I didn't come to tell you anything. Just to be, what's the word? More accommodating?"

"Hmph." I grunt. "I will try."

"Please, we will all be living under the same roof soon, and she can be very nasty. I just want your time there, albeit small, to be pleasant. Promise me, you will try to tolerate her." Ovian was pleading. 

I looked at him. He was wearing a simple short sleeved white shirt and gray pants, that stretched across his torso. The shirt made his broad chest all the more visible and taut and inviting and... It was disconcerting. I looked away and nodded at his request.