Chapter Twelve

It's been three days since my fight with Ovian. He hasn't communicated in any way and frankly, it made me wary. I know I went too far with some of the things I said that day, and I probably deserved the silent treatment. But the News and tabloids have been rife with news about us. There has been several speculations about our arrangement, some reporters have even been spotted around the Manor's gates.

Personally, I have decided to just play along and see where it all goes. I will continue with my plans of helping the girl child, especially as Charlotte. And most of all, I will guard my heart very well. I know may not be able to guard my body, but I will make sure my heart belongs to me and my cause.

I was discussing dinner with the cook in the kitchen when we both hear voices coming in from the foyer. I conclude our conversation and excuse myself to see what was going on. As soon as I step into the foyer, I saw Ovian speaking to Jasper. There were some men in black suits with him. He paused when he saw me, but return back to his conversation with Jasper. I didn't know what to do, so I decide to go back into the kitchen.

As I turn around to leave, I hear footsteps coming towards me, which for reasons I don't yet know, my heart rate increases.

"Tania." I could feel him standing behind me. What am I going to say? I close my eyes for a second, still my racing heart, and turn  around to face him.

"Ovian." I said looking everywhere but at him.

He gestures for me to follow him and he led me into the large sitting area where we both sit down. He leans back in his seat say, "The first time I really saw you was when the doctors were wheeling you into the emergency room. There was blood all over, but that didn't hide the fact that you had an uncanny resemblance to Charlotte. Same hair colour, same beautiful features... at that point I wished she would come back." He sighed. "Charlotte was betrothed to me when I was nine, she had just been a few weeks old then. I had known her all her life. Apart from the fact that we became fast friends, I pitied her because she was a lonely child. I never loved her, at least not in that way. When we found out that her father had the rare disease called Tatan's hand, we knew inevitably, she would too. She died in a far away health facility that only I knew about. At her request, I had taken her there so nobody would be privy to her eventual death. That's why I am the only one who knows about that."
He stands up, goes to the bar and pours himself a drink. He took a sip before continuing. "Almost immediately, my father began to arrange another marriage for me, the princess was the last straw. I had planned to abscond somewhere far away until his death and then you came along. So when you came up with the blackmail, it made me realize that it was an opportunity to avoid marrying the princess and still keep Charlotte's name and inheritance intact." I look up into his eyes as he spoke. "I am sorry, I went about it all wrong, trying to force you to marry me and the threats... I will never harm you or Taylor. Please, I just need your help to make this work. My father doesn't have much time on the throne. He's old and very soon will crown my brother as king. So I just need you to pretend for a little while and as soon as my brother becomes king, I will give you a divorce and we can both go our separate ways. I also promise to never touch you, never." He says solemnly.

I let go of the breath I didn't know I was holding. "I am sorry about the things I said too. My temper got the better of me."

He smiled, "I have noticed that. So do you agree?" His blue eyes watching me like a hawk's.

"Yes." I say, rubbing my hands together. "As long as you are willing to keep to your end of the agreement."

"I will keep to my word. Meanwhile, because of the news that Charlotte is alive, there have been people wanting to get into the estate. So I have dispatched security in the grounds and another to act as your chauffeur and bodyguard. There is a car outside to take you or Taylor wherever you want to go." He leaned down towards me. "You are not my prisoner or slave, Tania. I want you to behave as if," he gestures towards the house, "this is your house and all. Here," he gives me an envelop, "they are your cards and account details so you can buy or shop whenever you feel like it. It's fully funded."

I took the envelop. "Thank you but this wasn't necessary. I don't have need for anything."

"Oh you will. My father has requested our presence at the palace the day after tomorrow. And, its not just him but the Council of Seven." He grimaced and finished his drink.

"The Council of Seven?"

"Yes, they are the real rulers of the Republic, the monarch is just a front. They are a chosen few from the founding families of the Republic. They are in charge of making policies and amending the constitution as they deem fit."

"Okay," I nod. That bit of information will help me in the pursuit of my cause. "So we are meeting the king?" I ask nervously.

Sensing my agitation, he says, "This is not an insult but you are a natural at this. If you could convince the press, then my father and his cronies will be no different. And I will be by your side."

I nod again.

"So please, get something very nice to wear because after that, we will be meeting my mother, the queen, and my siblings. The Queen is a very astute woman who will access you like a hawk. So I need you to spare no cost at looking very good."

Oh my! Its happening! After a few more instructions, Ovian left.

As soon as he left, I went to find Taylor in the stables. She has been learning how to ride a horse. We both have actually but I am not as enthusiastic as she is.

"My lady," the stable boy greets me. I nod and ask about Taylor. Just then Taylor appears from behind him.

"My lady," she greets. I took her hand and pull her away from earshot and relay everything Ovian told me to her. All the while I talked, she was silent and then she asks, "Are you afraid?"

I thought for a moment. "Yes, I think but I fear they may find me out and the consequences will be dire."

"Trust you to always jump to conclusions. Just practice your lines and you will be okay." She mused. "Tania, this is it. The moment we've been waiting for."

"Don't I know it? But what if they don't like Charlotte anymore? Can't bethrothals be revoked? What if his mother hates me?"

"That's a lot of what ifs. Come let's do some research on the internet about all of them. You never know, we may find some secrets that can help us."

We went back to my room and do as she suggested. But we didn't really find much about the monarch. What we found out were stuff we already knew or wasn't what we needed. I was back to feeling vulnerable when Taylor, exclaimed, "Here's something, did you know Charlotte's grandfather was one of the seven? It says here he died a few years before Charlotte was born. But it wasn't Hawthorne."

"Who was it?"

"Her maternal grandfather, Grand duke of Mockingbird Castle. He was the oldest on the council but was too old to continue and since he didn't have a male heir to replace him, his position has been vacant. Apparently, the council of the seven is actually six because of Charlotte's grandfather's absence."

"Hmmmm. Can't a woman of the founding family join?" I ask.

"Don't know, it doesn't say." She says, searching other articles. "But you can ask Ovian."

"I will." I nod.

"I know what will cheer you up," Taylor says as she gets up, "let's go shopping!"

I laugh. "Remember the kind of shopping we used to do only a few weeks ago?"

"You mean the kind where we look through the price tags, until we end up in sales?"

"And in sales, we look for the very least?"

"Yeah, I remember. I shudder to think that, that was just a few days ago."

"Come let's go spend some royal money!" I say as I look for a bag to match my jeans and shirt.