» F E A R

"Remember, if anything happens, tell me," Steve reminds, pointing a finger at Frankie. Frankie impatiently unbuckles her seatbelt and nods.

"Yeah, I got it the first three times you said it! Can I go now?" She rushes.

Steve smiles.

"Fine. Seriously though—"

"Bye, Steve!"

Before he can even get through his sentence, the girl shuts the door and rushes towards the front of the school. He rolls his eyes a little, but carefully watches her.

He can't help but feel uneasy after everything that happened last night. She never did tell him who hurt her.

He drives away when he can see that she is safe.

Frankie tries to reach the entrance of the building as quick as possible, avoiding any sort of interaction she might have with Mike. As she walks past a car, she feels eyes on her. Her glance drifts to the passenger window, and she sees Will.

The boy hurriedly climbs out of the car to greet her before she can walk off.

"Uh– h-hey, Frankie!" He chirps, stopping the girl before she can get far.

"Hey, Will." She simply says.

He sighs in relief to find that she isn't mad at him. He felt bad for not standing up for her. He feels bad for ditching her on Halloween. Seeing her reminds him of whoever those people were.

Frankie, on the other hand, can only think about everything Steve told her. As much as she wants to tell him she knows, Steve said she can't. She can't tell anyone she knows.

"Don't forget your backpack, Will." The man inside of the car chirps.

Will blushes and turns back to the car. He hurriedly grabs his things before closing the door and turning back to Frankie. She laughs a little and links hands with him.

Bob drives off, reminding himself to ask Joyce about the girl later.

"I thought you'd be mad," Will admits as they walk hand-in-hand.

Frankie raises an eyebrow.

"Why would I be mad?"

Will's eyes focus on the people around them. They give him weird stares, like he's out of place. It makes him insecure, even with Frankie holding his hand. He's so focused on their strange stares that he almost forgets to answer her.

"I don't know. But I need to talk to you about something later, okay?" He hums.

Frankie tenses up, but nods her head.

As they enter the school, Will's hand unlinks from hers. The bell rings, and they find themselves walking to class.

-

As Mr. Clarke lectures, Frankie zones out.

Her eyes drift to the back Will's head, and she thinks about what happened to him. She feels so bad that she couldn't be here to help him.