» E T H E R E A L

Immediately after school, Mike got a ride with Frankie and Steve. When he acquired this transportation, he didn't think it would be so awkward.

"No, Frankie. I took you yesterday, and you really need to eat something. We're taking Mike home, then we're going home," Steve states, setting his foot down.

Frankie looks at him as though he's lost his mind.

"I don't have time to argue with you right now, Steve! Will could be in danger. Please, just listen to me," Frankie begs.

In the backseat, Mike looks between the two, feeling tension spark.

"Frankie—"

"I'm not even hungry," she insists. "I ate at lunch."

Steve turns to look at Mike in the backseat, and Mike fumbles to pretend that he wasn't listening to everything they were just saying.

"Mike, did she eat lunch?" He inquires.

"Uh...yeah, she did," Mike nods in agreement.

She didn't. She never ate the school lunch, and Mike can't help but worry a little about the girl too. He knows that she wants to see Will, but is that even what's best for her right now?

"Okay, fine. Call me when I need to go get you," Steve sighs, turning onto the road to the Byers' house.

Upon arrival, Frankie and Mike rush to exit the car and head to the front door. As Mike gets there, he begins to bang on the door.

"Hello? Will? Mrs. Byers?" He calls loudly, hoping to attract attention to them.

The door opens up soon after, and Joyce Byers shows her tired expression to the two. She smiles lightly at Mike, and gives Frankie a curious glance. She can't help but notice how frail the girl looks, and how concerned she seems.

"Hey, Mike," Joyce utters.

"Is Will here?" Mike asks immediately.

"You know, now is not really a good time—"

"Is he okay?"

Joyce glances into the house behind her before stepping onto the porch, and closing the door behind her.

"Yeah. You know...he's just not feeling real well," she says, making hand gestures as she speaks. "He's laying down, so I'll tell him you stopped by, okay?"

She attempts to walk them off the porch, but Mike soon puts that to a stop.

"It's about the shadow monster, isn't it?" Mike asks.

Joyce stops, and turns to look at the two kids with shock. Frankie nervously smiles at her, and attempts not to look so threatening.

Next thing they know they're being let into the house, and are walking towards Will's room.

"Wait," Joyce calls.

They both stop from entering the boy's room, and then to her with curious looks.

"Honey...have you eaten anything?" The woman asks softly, directing her attention to Frankie. "I could make you something to eat really quick? Or I have cereal?..."

In response, Frankie blushes. Before she has a chance to deny the offer, Mike cuts in.

"She hasn't eaten since yesterday morning," he states.

Frankie sends a squint in his direction as Joyce rushes to pour he girl some cereal. The frail girl follows her into the kitchen, and Mike walks into Will's room.

"Is lucky charms okay?" Joyce questions.

Frankie nods shyly.

She didn't even know what lucky charms were.

As Joyce slides the bowl of cereal to her, she gives her a curious eye. Without hesitation, she sits by the girl, and offers her a warm smile.

"You and Will must be good friends," she comments.

Frankie blushes, "oh...yeah. I guess you could say that..."

"Did he...tell you about...last year?" She asks softly.

"The monster," she nods. "Yeah. Did he tell you about me?"

Joyce looks at her slightly confused. Frankie looks so casual as she says all of this— eating her cereal like this whole conversation is normal. Joyce assumes that it doesn't mean anything. Maybe she's a transfer student.

"Besides the fact that he likes you a lot, I don't think he's told me anything," she smiles.

Frankie's entire face seems to dim into a red shade, and Joyce can't help but to laugh a little at how adorable she looks. Without another word, Frankie pulls off her watch.

It takes Joyce a few minutes to comprehend whats happening.

"You're...y-you're from the lab?" She whispers.

"Yes," Frankie nods, finishing her bowl of cereal. "May I go see Will now?"

Joyce is at a loss of words, but nods her head anyway. As soon as the girl disappears down the hallway, she thinks about what she should do next.

The sound of the door opening makes both Mike and Will jump. Frankie can tell Mike must've left out the fact that she was here, based on Will's surprised expression.

Aside from his surprise, she observes how sweaty he is, despite how cold his room feels.

"Frankie?" Will smiles, chirping up immediately.

"Hey," she grins. "I guess Mike left out the fact that I was here too? Did he also leave out that it was my idea to come here?"

Mike rolls his eyes, and watches as Frankie sits beside Will on his bed.

"No, he didn't tell me," Will laughs softly. "I really...m-missed you."

Mike fakes a gag, and Frankie throws a pillow his way.

"I missed you too," she hums. "Something tells me we'll be spending lots of time together though...anyway, how do you feel?"

"Not so good," he admits. "I was just telling Mike...it's like I can see and feel everything the shadow monster can. Mike says I'm like a spy....but that doesn't make me feel any better about this all."

"Well, we're here now," Frankie reassures. "And I'm not going anywhere."

Her hand laces into his, and a lovely warmth spreads through his cold body. He gives her a smile, and leans a tired head on her shoulder.