» Volume 1

As the car pulls out of the labs gates, Steve and the rest of the kids are forced to hop into the Chief's police car in a hurry. Steve makes sure all the kids get into the vehicle before he himself hops in.

Then, they speed away to the Byers' residence.

As soon as the two vehicles parked, Mike struggles to get Frankie out of the car, which immediately alerts Steve.

"Frankie? FRANKIE," the teen rushes to Mike, practically pushing him aside before picking the girl up himself.

Mike stares dumbfounded at the boy, but watches in guilt nonetheless.

"What happened?" Steve looks at Mike.

When he doesn't answer right away, Steve is sent into panic, unintentionally raising his voice at the younger boy.

"WHAT HAPPENED TO HER?!" He shouts.

Mike flinches, and is relieved when Jim hops between them.

"She's fine! She had to be tranquillized—"

"You tranquilized her?!" Steve scoffs, looking down at the girls pale complexion. "SHE'S SICK! She's been sick for weeks! Do you know what that strong of medication could do to her right now? SHE COULD BE FUCKING DYING."

Jim says nothing at this, looking down at the girl himself. It's then that he realizes just how terrible she looks.

She could be dying.

"Shit," he mutters. "Get her inside. GO!"

Steve rushes inside with Hopper not far behind. Mike follows too, now very worried. What if she died? It'd be all his fault, right?

As they slam into the house, everyone else looks up with confusion.

"CLEAR THE TABLE!" Jim demands, rushing into the kitchen before Steve.

Joyce throws everything off, worriedly looking at the two.

Steve sets her down softly, tears welling in his eyes as reality begins to settle in. What if she dies. It would all his fault for not watching her. Wouldn't it be?

"Joyce, I need alcohol and a cotton ball. Do you have those things?" Hopper paces around.

The woman rushes to get stuff out from below the sink, fumbling to pull out his requested supplies. She thanks the lord she went first aid shopping last week.

"If this doesn't work...." The chief trails.

Steve looks into his eyes, begging him not to finish his sentence.

The kids by now are watching with anticipation, and Mike feels his own cheeks begin to get wet with tears.

Jim pours some alcohol onto the cotton ball before wafting it below the girls nose.

A few seconds pass. Then, a few minutes. Then, a few more.

Nothing happens.

Finally, Jim gives up, turning away and setting the cotton ball down. He doesn't turn back around, too upset to show his face.

Joyce covers her mouth to keep in her small cries, and hugs the other kids close to her as they stare blankly at their friends lifeless body.

"No, that can't be right," Steve shakes his head. "No. No. No. That's not right. You did something wrong, she's— she's not! She isn't–"

He can't seem to get the word out. He doesn't want to say it. Nancy approaches him, trying to rub his shoulders in a comforting manner, but he's not having it. He flinches away from her touch.

Jonathan goes back to monitoring Will y the couch, but a frown remains on his features.

Steve moves to grab the girl by her arms, lifting her and shaking her a little.

"You're ok!" Steve yells at her, tears cascading down his cheeks like a waterfall. "Breathe. Just breathe. Open your eyes. Come back. It's ok. It's over now! You're ok. Wake up. Please wake up. Don't do this to me. Don't do this to me. I love you so much! Come back!"

Now, he's hugging her to his chest and crying so loudly that it makes everyone else begin to cry too.

His chest heaves over and over as sobs and howls of sorrow leaves his lips.

"Steve can you not cry so loud? You're beginning to heart my ears," Frankie's tiny, weak voice vibrates against the older boys jacket.

The entire kitchen simultaneously gasps before running all at once into a group hug with the girl.

"I thought you were dead, you shit head!" Steve sobs, hugging the girl tightest of them all.

"I was about to hate myself for the rest of my life," Mike laughs through tears.

Frankie giggles weakly, allowing them all to slowly release her from their arms.

"You still don't look to good, kid," Hopper points out.

Joyce rushes to get her a glass of water. Frankie immediately chugs it before wrapping her arms back around Steve.

"I love you, Steve-y Nicks," she mumbles softly, her voice croaky.

Steve smiles with relief, not even bothering to wipe away the remainder of tears in his eyes.

"I love you, Fran."

"How did this even happen?" Dustin questions, completely ruining the moment.