» Volume 3

"Okay okay," Nancy nods. "I understand the situation, but I'm a little confused about the problem..."

Mike scoffs, "it's pretty clear, and you'd understand if you weren't so distracted by Jonathan. Long story short, Frankie could be in a lot of trouble if that gate doesn't close."

Nancy annoyedly nudges her younger brother.

"Yeah, but why? It's not like the ghost will hurt her, idiot."

Jonathan nods in agreement, quietly blushing at Mike's previous words. His finger tap the cushions beside him.

"What's dead is meant to stay dead," Frankie explains, allowing Mike to continue to look at the numbers on her wrist. "When I open the gate on Halloween for them, I use my personal energy to bring them back. The longer the gate stays open, the more energy I use."

"Wait wait wait," Steve cuts in, "does your energy equal to your life span?"

Frankie shrugs.

"In all honesty, I'm not really sure. This has never happened before, and when I asked Alex and the others, they said it was no big deal. I guess this means we'll have to wait and see."

"How come you have hair?" Mike blurts.

The frail girl turns to him with confusion.

"Wh-what do you mean?"

Frankie is intimidated by Mike to say the least. She has been from the moment they met, and she grew even more intimidated when he refused to befriend her. So the fact that he's being so...not rude to her right now is highly unusual.

"011 was pretty much bald when we found her...and even if she was still here," he shifts, "I'm sure her hair wouldn't be as long as yours is."

"My hair was never cut," she admits.

"Why?"

"The devil's wife was said to have long hair."

Before he has a chance to question that statement further, the girl breaks out into a fit of coughs. If Will was here, he'd already be familiar with them.

"Hey hey," Steve gets up quickly, and moves closer to the girl, "are you alright?"

Dark blood flows out of the girl's lips, and Jonathan quickly goes to the kitchen to acquire a glass of water for her. As soon as the glass of water travels back to Frankie, she gulps it down despite the blood mixing into it.

"Does this happen often?" Jonathan softly asks.

Mike stares at her with a large amount of concern, unknowingly linking his hand in hers and squeezing tightly.

Frankie sets the glass down and takes large breaths.

"I-I'm fine. Happens a lot when the gate opens," she explains. "Well...more specifically when there are two gates open at once."

"That is not fine!" Steve exclaims, worriedly hugging the small girl.

She gladly accepts his hug, leaning her head tiredly on his shoulder. Mike only lets go of her hand when he sees that Jonathan noticed them.

"We better get going," Nancy says, standing up. "I'm sorry we came over here like idiots and harassed you."

"It's alright," Frankie smiles softly, pulling away from Steve and standing up as well.

"I'm staying," Mike states, moving to stand beside Frankie.

Nancy shakes her head, "no way, I'm taking you ho—"

"No. Me and Frankie have stuff to take care of," he explains. "Just....please, Nancy."

The older sister stands and thinks the situation through, looking between the two. She sees how determined Mike looks. She also sees how close his hand is to holding hers, and she smirks— not knowing of Will's current claim.

"Fine," she gives in. "Be safe."

As soon as they're gone, Frankie demands that they go see Will.

"I guess I could take you to see him," Steve says. "But I'll have to drop you off. I'll pick you up when I'm finished with dinner."

Frankie nods in agreement.

Only Steve would never finish dinner that night.