» Volume 1

"So you're telling me that you walked all the way back because Mike was indecisive?" Steve questions, trying his best to make meatballs.

"Yup," Frankie nods her head.

"Sounds just like his sister," Steve chuckles softly.

"Yeah, so—"

Before the girl can finish her sentence, the phone rings. She jumps at the sound, and her mind immediately flashes to Mike. He wouldn't call right? They agreed to her calling him— he better not be calling.

Steve rushes to answer the landline.

"Hello?...yeah, it's me— woah woah, slow down. I thought you said it started at 8?....I'm busy— Dad, I can't— Ugh....okay, fine. Be there in 10."

Frankie watches as he hangs up the phone, and throws him a questionable look.

"Are you okay?" She hums, catching onto his distressed expression.

"Uh...I'm a little annoyed. Look, I've gotta go help my dad with something— do you think you could finish dinner yourself? Will you be okay tonight?" He asks worriedly.

Frankie smiles lightly.

"I'll be fine, plus, I'll do a much better job at cooking," she snorts.

"Oh shut up, I'm amazing at cooking," he laughs.

Their laughter dies after a few seconds, and suddenly Steve is wearing a frown. Frankie can tell he doesn't want to leave— most occasions he complains about his father. He rarely leaves Frankie's house now, and only leaves for extremely important occasions.

"I love you," she says, hoping to put a sense of reassurance in the boy's heart.

Steve smiles.

It definitely put hope for the afternoon in him.

"I love you too, Fran. Be safe, okay? I'll see you tomorrow," he responds.

Frankie nods, and Steve leaves. When he does, her lungs feel as though they're being filled with ash, and she proceeds to cough up blood for the second time that day. It takes a span of about 20 minutes before she can finally stop coughing. That's when she finally calls Mike.

"Hello?" His voice on the other line chimes.

"Mike? He's gone."

"Cool, I'll be over soon," he responds, hanging up before she can even reply.