Chapter XXII

PERCY

It has been three days since the Romans have entered the camp. It has been absolutely brilliant to catch up with all of my friends after such a long time. Between integrating both camps there has not been much time, but any chance to hang out with Annabeth and the others was taken.

The Greeks and the Romans, after the last 1000 years had strengthened their ties immensely. Gone was the distrust and hostilities that still lingered during the Giant War before my 'death'. But know the two camps seemed to meld seamlessly into one. Those with respective parents were hanging out with their counterparts from Camp Jupiter and even in the looming presence of the war, laughter and joy seemed to fill the air. And for once the Greeks boasted a harsher training regimen than the Romans. Ha-ha, take that, we can work hard!

Just as everyone was settling in, and as the sun began to set the conch sounded. That was not a call to dinner. Instead, the sound rang out through the camp with an ominous tone, foreshadowing the very danger it was bringing. The warning has sounded; the army was on their way.

"Everyone to your stations!" I called above the ruckus of people running to and fro in various states of armour. The campers, though they have been training are looking and exudes nervousness in the bucket load. Many of them had never fought before.

It was not long before the Olympian side had assembled at the edge of the field, on looking the oncoming army. Everyone was at a standstill as we observed the thousands of monsters lying in wait. The hoards were snapping and growling, readying to sink their teeth into some demigod flesh. At that moment, the Olympians flashed in, each of them dressed in full battle armour. Dad moved to the front and stood next to me, again staring at the threat before us. It was then that my eyes drifted to the back of the masses to Nyx herself. However, my heart stopped when I saw who was standing next to her. The mysterious ally behind Nyx was Tartarus, betraying both chaos and our primordial council. The last time that we spoke, mere months ago, nothing seemed out of the ordinary. He had nothing against earth.

Tartarus will be dealt with, and yet the threat continued to escalate. Dues to his participation in the war, Tartarus seemed to have revived all those titans and giants that had been imprisoned in his domain. We were up against a very powerful enemy, one that would not be quick to defeat.

After assessing the fight before us, I knew exactly where everyone needed to be stationed. I let my commander side take over as I started to bark orders. I let my friendly persona melt away, and instead, I was now their commander. My most important jobs were to win this war and keep as many of the fighters alive as possible.

"Poseidon, Apollo, and Hermes! You are leading the squad of Olympians to the front lines. You will be fighting alongside Artemis, Athena, Ares, and Zeus to defend against the Titans. Your primary objective is to not let them join the main fray as long as possible." They nodded their assent and started gathering their weapons as soon as I finished the order.

"The rest of you gods, both minor and major, you will be fighting alongside the demigods. You are to support your children in the fight; help them with the giants, and all the monsters. I am counting on you to look after the mortals" I shouted, and once more I received nods and determined faces. Everyone will be fighting with everything they had.

"And Hades, you are in command of this battalion"

"It would be an honour" responded Hades with a bow of his head.

"The Army of Chaos, you are with me, we take the front and attack with everything we have! Archers at the rear, demigods follow your respective leaders"

I stared out once more "For Olympus!" I cried and thrust my sword in the air.

"FOR OLYMPUS!" was the resounding cry from everyone as we charged.

My team and I raced to the front, Kaia and Luke right there beside me, forming the trio that has worked together for the past millennium. We were a unit within itself, that tore its way through all our enemies.

The second the monsters reached our lines all hell broke loose. There were bodies everywhere, and golden dust filled the air in a thick smog, leaving visibility extremely low. We kept pushing forwards, as far as we could go, slaying monster after monster, watching for demigods, and watching our own backs. The battle was ferocious and I got lost in the motions of slashing and dicing, cutting down our enemies to size.

All I could do was pray in thanks to Chaos that Nyx and Tartarus decided to sit the first battle out, instead content to watch as their army was fighting from the back lines. They seemed happy enough to bide their time and command their army from afar.

The battle was tough and I could see camper after camper falling, and not all of them getting back up. This war was going to be tough and this was only the first major battle and there were already numerous casualties and countless injured. While everyone was fighting with all they had, the dent we were making seemed almost inconsequential. 

There you go. 

The final chapters have been planned, so there will be three more parts after this one. The story is almost at an end! 

Gaiaraven xx