Chapter VII

POSEIDON’S P.O.V.

I can’t believe he is gone. This thought ran through my head again, and again. Once Annabeth told me that he had faded from existence, it broke my heart even more. It means that I couldn’t ask hades to summon his ghost, and I could ever talk to him again.

My body now had sluggish movements, reflecting the old man that I now was. I had no strength to go on. I couldn’t live without my son.

“It will be alright brother,” I heard from behind me, and I was shocked, that when I turned around there standing was Zeus.

“What are you doing here?” I asked, my voice cracking by the end. I was sitting on a deserted island in the middle of the Caribbean, out of the way of everyone. But, of course, the king of the gods could easily find me.

He sighed and sat down next to me.

“You okay?” he asked softly.

“You have never taken interest in that before,” I told him suspiciously.

He sighed again. This time he closed his eyes and looked deep in thought.

“I know I haven’t and that is the reason I’m here. You see, I have been an awful king in the millennia I have ruled. The council always fights and there are too many wars that divide us, now I have a proposition. I have one last order to tell you,” I stare at him for a bit longer, worrying about what he is about to say.

“I, Zeus, king of the gods, renounce my title of king of the gods to Poseidon, Lord of the Seas!” Thunder boomed everywhere and a bolt of lightning hit, me right in the chest. I my eyes widened when I realised what had just happened.

When the light died down I saw Zeus lying on the ground. I rushed straight over to him, for a moment completely forgetting my grieving.

“Brother, are you alright?” I asked, worrying about him. He chuckled weakly.

“See, I told you, you already are doing a better job than me, I just know you are not going to go power crazy. Now let’s go tell the other gods what just happened. We don’t want a big panic now do we?” My eyes widened.

“You haven’t told them that you were going to do this?” He looked down guiltily and shook his head. I just chuckled softly before I realised. My grief was pushed to the side by the new power. I still felt sad that he was gone, but know I knew that I had to pick myself up for others.

“Well then, let’s go and break the news,” I said as I flashed Zeus and I (he still wasn’t feeling well) up to Olympus.

When we got there the other gods were sitting on their throne and looking very confused. There was only one change in the throne room and if you were not looking carefully you would not see it. My throne had been moved to were Zeus’ used to be and visa-versa.

“Zeus, what just happened?” asked everyone in the room at once. I looked at Zeus and realised that they truly hadn’t noticed the shift of power.

“Well, let’s see. Everyone sit down and we will talk about it,” Zeus said as he went to sit on his throne. When he sat down Athena gasped.

“You didn’t!” she said, still in shock.

“Yes. Yes I did. Oh Poseidon. I forgot to give you this,” he said as he turned to me and flicked his hand.

“NOOOOO!” I shouted and tried to escape but no, it still caught up to me. A crown. I hate crowns, they show the amount of power you have and people wearing crowns get treated differently. I hate it.

I was grumbling by the time I got to my throne, and only at that moment, with the crown on my head, and my throne in the centre of the council, did the others realise what happened. Let’s just say there were a lot of gasps. This will be a long council meeting.