Chapter two

Elena's eyes quickly opened as she threw herself up from the while bed gasping for air. Her heart felt like it was about to jump right out of her chest as panic rushed through her entire body. It was another nightmare. They never got any better. She never had a good night's sleep because she would always wake up breathless or even crying. It started in her early years, probably when she as around three. It seemed like it was something that would pass, but it didn't. She took a deep breath while placing a hand to her heavy breathing chest. After calming down she leaned her feet out of bed while placing her head on the inside of her hands.

Today was the day she was going to interview this Jerome Valeska guy, which still sounded strangely familiar. Thinking about it, maybe she should do some research so she wouldn't show up with nothing. Plus, it would get her mind on something else than the stupid nightmare. She made her way to her desk and opened her computer to type in his name. So many different articles popped up so she clicked the first one.

"Jerome Valeska is a deranged, criminally insane psychopath and murderer. He lived at a circus with his snake dancer mom Lila Valeska and blind fortune teller Paul Cicero. After a psychotic break he murdered his mother and tried to lie about it when talking to officer Jim Gordon. They found evidence that plead him guilty of her murder. He then got lifetime in Arkham Asylum."

Of course! That's where she had him from. She remembered seeing him on the news after the murder. His mugshot was kind of disturbing, because he smiled like he had never been more proud of himself in his entire life. But she kept on reading a bunch of different articles and made notes so she'd be more prepared for the interview.

"Damn, this guy is more mentally damaged than me." she thought to herself as she slightly shook her head while resting it on her fist. Then the sound of heavy footsteps approached the door and Elena could hear from miles away who it was. Her blood boiled knowing that trouble was about to walk through the door and she tightened her grip around her pencil.

"Not now." she thought and let out a sigh.

Elena was a orphan, meaning she had never met her family. For years different foster homes tried to take Elena in and raise her like their own, but it ended the same way with every one of them. Even though she was a cute and nice girl, she had anger issues, and they would constantly get her into trouble and fights. So they just ended up sending her to the next one. It made her feel like a dog that people thought they could just get rid off when they decided they didn't like it anymore. In the end after several foster homes it was decided she was going to live in an institution for troubled teenagers. She had to stay there until she turned eighteen and then she had the choice of leaving. The person that ran the institution was a woman named Dana Jones.

When Elena arrived there child care services strictly told Dana to be careful and not tell Elena about her past because it could hurt her mentally. But Dana was far from a kind soul, on the contrary. You'd think that someone who took a job that strictly means taking care of kids would actually like kids, but it was nothing she hated more. She had from day one treated Elena like absolute trash and made her feel like it too, but she had still promised child services not to tell. Over the years they fought, argued, and constantly got on eachothers nerves, but one day it went too far.

They were arguing in the dining room after Elena had put blue hair dye in Dana's hair conditioner, but only because Dana forced Elena to shower and then turned of the hot water when she was in the middle of shampooing. Dana was shouting out what an disappointment Elena was when she accidentally yelled out loud, "This is the result of fucking incest!"

Everyone at the institution heard this and quickly they started talking about it. At the time Elena was only eleven years old and didn't understand what she meant, so she didn't know what to respond. But slowly after hearing people talking and researching online, she put the pieces together. Normally when you spend your entire life wondering who you are, where you came from and who your family is, you feel nothing but pure happiness when you finally get the  answers you've been searching for, but not Elena.