Chapter sixteen

Elena walked out in the common area of Arkham. It was filled with insane criminals and many of them seemed to notice her as they started whispering for some reason. She chose to just ignored them and walked over to a empty table where she sat down alone. On the inside all she wanted to do was cry. This was a new type of fear and she felt more helpless than she ever had at the institution. She just took a deep breath and looked around for any escapes. There was only one door out and it was guarded by an tall and armed man. He was big and impossible to take down alone. She sighed hopelessly and turned back around while placing her head in her hands. Then suddenly, out of nowhere, a short man with dark hair jumped down in front of her. She looked up at him surprised. He placed his arms onto the table as he intertwined his fingers smiling at her.

"Hi there, friend! My name is Oswald Cobblepot, and who do I have the pleasure of meeting?" he asked with a friendly tone in his voice. Elena thought he looked strange, his hair was black and he styled it in a very unusual way. It was kind of a punk style, but at the same time it was not. But she actually liked it. He looked like an outsider, and she liked outsiders because she was one herself.

"Um hi, I'm Elena." she said and tried to smile, but failed because of how uncomfortable she still was by being there with a bunch of crazy people. And even though he seemed friendly, you could never be too careful.

"Why so sad, Elena? By the look of your face it seems like you have been crying." he said before looking down at her hands and pouted his lower lip while tilting his head to the side, "Ah, I see the guards have been very rough on you."  he said and shook his head. Elena looked down at her hands and noticed they had swollen up and got a purple tone after the guard hit her with the bat as she grabbed Jim threw the bars.

"I'm afraid in a place like this, we are nothing else to them but another inmate that needs to be tortured enough to be so afraid they can call us sane."  

Elena sighed and pulled her hands back to hide them under the table. 

"I guess that's true, but it's not why I've been crying. I'm trying to get out of here." she said and Oswald smiled again.

"Oh well, that's convenient. Perhaps I can help you?" he purposed and Elena looked up at him as he got her curious to what he was going to suggest.

"I have planned for an escape myself, but need a good looking girl like yourself to help me out.» he said and Elena's eyes widened as he gave her hope that she would see Jerome again. And now she would take every chance she was given to get out of there. She had only been there one night and already felt like she was going insane.

"Yes, please! I'll do anything." she said desperately and unconsciously threw her hands on top of the table as she got overly ecxicted.

"Ah, I'm glad you want to help." he said with a smilke, "I'll tell you everything you need to know about the plan, but for now don't tell anyone about this. People in here are not to be trusted, I'm afraid." he said and frowned as he looked over at the others in the room. Elena didn't know why, but she felt like she could trust him. He didn't seem to be like the other inmates around here, he seemed more normal. Well, to a certain extent.

"No, no of course. I'll keep my mouth shut, I promise. And thank you." she said and actually smiled to him. Then she flinched as another tall man with black hair and glasses sat down right beside her with a smile glued on his face. He came very close to her and just by her first impression of him, he seemed a bit bizarre.

"Hi! You look strangely familiar. Aren't you the girl that were in the police station when the commissioner was killed? With The Maniax as I believe they call themselves?" he asked her and tilted his head, but still smiling. She backed up a bit as he was to close for her comfort zone.