Chapter ten

"Elena?" Elena heard someone ask behind her. She quickly wiped her tears and turned around to see if who it was. Jim's squinted eyes quickly widened and his jaw dropped as soon he saw Elena's face.

"Oh my god, Elena! You're alive!" he said surprised and without a warning he dropped his umbrella to hug her tight to his chest. She tried, but she couldn't find any words to speak, she was just completely in shock as she sobbed.

"Come inside with me." he said as he dragged her with him into the police station. All eyes turned as Elena passed them. It made her feel highly uncomfortable because she didn't know why they stared at her. Hell, she didn't even know if she had been missing or not this whole time. Jim kept dragging her into his office. He sat her down on a chair and rushed behind his desk to find a blanket that he gently placed around her soaking wet body.

"I thought you were dead, are you okay?" he asked and gently stroke her back to comfort her before he leaned at his desk in front of her.

"I..I'm fine. But I have to tell you something." she said and thought she had to be smart and lie about how Dana died before he would ask her any suspicious questions. She had to say Jerome forced her and threatened her with that if she didn't do it, he would murder her instead. That was the only way she would avoid spending the rest of her life in Arkham. All thought maybe that was were she belonged now? She did murder Dana all by her self, and just with her bare hands too. Jerome never forced her, he just gave her the option.

"Sure, okay, but where have you been? After what happened at the school I thought they murdered you somewhere else, or worse. Now that I see you alive I can only guess you were kidnapped?" he asked her while holding his hand on her shoulder, trying to look her in the eyes. She was just about to explain herself, but then she noticed something he said that didn't make so much sense to her. She looked up at him and slightly frowned.

"What happened at she school? What are you talking about?" she asked him in confusion.

Jim quickly understood that she didn't know what had happened and let out a sigh before he looked at her with an expression that Elena didn't like. But, now that he mentioned it, she never asked Jerome what happened when she got kidnapped. Her mind had been in a totally different place so the thought to ask him never hit her.

"You don't know..do you? This is hard for me to say..but when you were kidnapped," he said and took a deep breath as he closed his eyes, "Jerome and the others killed dozens of people at your school." he said and Elena's eyes widened, but the weird thing was she actually didn't feel sad at all, just..shocked. It was like her sympathy for other people was gone.

"I..I don't remember any of that. I just woke up in their house with no memory of how I got there." she said and tried her best to remember. But everything was just black. Jim crossed his legs and placed his hand on his chin looking like he was thinking hard about the situation. He was such a dedicated detective, always trying to solve every mystery he came across. Elena admired that.

"Well, what is the last thing you remember?" he asked her. She turned her head and closed her eyes to think. It took her a moment before she opened them again.

"I remember sitting in Lilly's office, I was working on my interview with Jerome. My headphones was on so I didn't hear anyone enter, but suddenly, he was there. The last thing I remember was the grin on his face before everything went black." she explained without looking him in the eyes. Jim got up and started pacing back and forth.

"It takes a great deal of chemicals to get you to pass out instantly, so he must have used something strong, and it probably caused you to get memory loss." Jim said frustrated, and then he stopped, "But I don't understand why he kidnapped you?" he said and turned around to scan her body, "I mean from what I see it doesn't look like he hurt you, and he hasn't demanded anything for your release. So what's in it for him?" he asked and looked at her curiously.