Chapter twelve

As they got back to the mansion Elena and Jerome went straight into her room. 

"What the hell, Jerome!" she said standing there with her arms crossed and looking at him confused. 

"Aw don't be mad gorgeous, it was only a joke. I wasn't actually going to leave you." he said laughing.

"Well it wasn't a funny joke! I thought you left me and that I was going to be locked up in Arkham for murder!" she said and was still in shock after everything that had happened. Jerome walked over to her and placed his hands on her shoulders while looking into her eyes.

"Relax, Elena. There's no reason to be so serious. I needed you to distract Jim and it had to be convincing. Plus we had fun, killed some cops and now you're safe here with me again like you wanted." he said trying to calm her down.

"Fun?" she repeated and took a step back so his hands slipped off her shoulders.

"I have no idea what Jim is thinking right now! And after you filmed me standing there all covered in blood and holding a gun people probably think I killed that woman. I'm going to be wanted all over Gotham.." 

Jerome just smiled because he saw nothing wrong with that.

"Yeah, so? You're lucky if you get the creds for killing 'the boss'. Every criminal in Gotham will look up to you. And who cares what pathetic old Jim thinks? The only reason I didn't kill him was to test you." he said crossing his arms and tilting his head. Elena looked at him confused and frowned.

"What do you mean test me?"

"Well you had time to speak with him before we arrived, right? So what did you tell him? Did you snitch?" he asked as he walked up to her and he wasn't smiling anymore. Elena could feel herself getting nervous as he came closer and studied her every movement.

"No! I told him nothing! I just said I don't remember anything, which is true because I don't. And he didn't get to ask me where you were hiding before you guys showed up." she said trying her best to make him believe her. His smile re appeared and he stroke her hair away from her face.

"Good girl. I knew you wanted to become one of us. But if you are lying and the cops show up, you will regret it." he said and she just nodded nervously. She hadn't told Jim anything so she wasn't worried about it.

"Jerome..he told me you kidnapped me at my school and killed dozens of people.» Elena said with a short pause, «It that true?" she asked.

"I did. And how does that make you feel, hm? That I killed people that treated you like absolute shit?" he asked her curiously. She looked into his eyes and questioned herself for what she was going to answer him.

"It made me..happy. I felt happy that you killed them." she said and Jerome looked so proud as he smiled again.

"So why do don't you look happy?" he asked.

"Well I just..I'm still prossessing all of this. And I just..I'm glad you didn't leave me." she said and once again, without thinking, wrapped her arms around him like an idiot. He stood still for a second before to Elena's surprise he placed his hands around her and hugged her back. He felt awkward because he wasn't used to this type of human contact and he didn't expect this form her after everything he had put her trough. But he liked this, somehow.

It wasn't a long hug because Elena still didn't quite trust her own feelings, if she was actually starting to get a connection to him or if she just had completely lost her mind. She let him go and looked at his clothes that were covered in blood from all his victims at the station.