1 | Alone and Lonely

Disclaimer: the characters and anything you recognize belong to the one and only JK Rowling. The plot, however, is mine.

P A R T. ONE : A Fragile Promise

"Even before death took him as his own, Sirius was left to suffer everyday more than the one before. He had lost himself a long time ago and carried on from monotonous days and nights with zero will to pull himself back to the land of the living."

***Grimmauld Place***

Hidden between two enormous buildings was a dark manor forbidden from the sun to ever rise above its roof. Outside its doors were flowers blossoming everywhere and the sound of laughter ringing throughout. But as soon as one would say the password to Headquarters, it would turn icy cold and gloomy with every step forward.

Everyone had the free opportunity to walk out of its doors to where life was. Except one man, who was the very same person who dreamed of nothing more than to abandon this cage once and for all, and he had thought he succeeded back then. But life proved him wrong, as always.

Alone and Lonely, they are two different things but still related to a great extent. He learned to live with both for so long now, ever since that night in Godrics Hollow.

Even when surrounded with people for company and thankfully no longer alone, he would still feel lonely knowing that only certain people can make him feel alive. And these are the very same people who left him alone, the ones he lost, the ones he had no other option but to learn to live without till the end of time.

He lost himself in the process of losing them.

He looked much older, shrunken and defeated. His gaunt face was filled with sadness, as if destined to never disappear or leave him alone. His haunted eyes revealed, as if talking out loud about, the agony he had to endure and the suffering he had no other option but to go through. Even Dumbledore's eyes looked younger than his grey ones and that is saying something.

The great mischievous prankster, in which no one stood against, was no longer who he really is. His smiles had grown more bitter and short-lived by each passing day, that is if anyone managed to make him laugh in the first place.

Sirius Black was a very frustrated man at the moment, paving his way toward depression. The months extended to years in which he had been trapped in this very place, in which every inch kept on reminding him of his abusive and dark childhood, with visual flashbacks.

Boredom and haunting memories kept on surrounding him from every corner. It was very overwhelming that it reminded him of what he felt during his traumatic long term experience with the dementors, the cloaked unhumane creatures that suck the soul in less than a minute. Such depression-like beings would crush down every single happy moment in encompassed coldness.