6 | First and Last Goodbye

***Meanwhile, in an Alternative Reality***

Lying on what felt like a soft bed, that one usually taking the shape of one's body, it was comfy to feel the warmth of the pillow under his cheek. Harry felt a hand playing through his messy black hair affectionately.

The gesture was familiar but was also oddly forgotten, like one of these things he dreamed of repeatedly but would instantly evaporate in the air as soon as he opened his eyes to reality.

Just then, Harry felt someone hold and gently squeeze his hand. It was warm and loving, something he rarely felt. And, Harry craved for more and more, even though he still didn't know who it was coming from.

His senses registered faint whispers, occasional sniffs and whimpering sobs. As soon as he wished to see for himself, he found himself actually opening his eyes.

His vision was blurred from a blinding white light. He felt two strong arms help him sit straight. He blinked before adjusting his vision, and two faces came into focus. Harry looked at them for soo long, trying to take everything in. They seemed to be doing the exact same thing, watching his every move.

Standing across his bed was a handsome man who seemed to be in his blossoming years of youth. Just by casting a look at him, Harry instantly labelled him as a troublemaker. His untamed black hair, so much like his own, gave the man a carefree appearance.

As his hazel eyes, that held concern, landed on Harry, the man's face broke into a charming smile from ear to ear. Just by looking at this man's face gave Harry a novel sense of safety.

The man's arm was wrapped around a woman's shoulder, that's when Harry shifted his attention to the other presence in the room. The woman had glowing red hair spread around her shoulders in consistent wavy curls. Harry felt the warmth of her soft hands, which were protectively wrapped around his own hand.

Although her face was tear-stricken, it was vividly bright and welcoming. The happiness she felt within was reflected in her green eyes that looked so much like his own. The tearful smile on her rose lips was infectious, as Harry felt himself returning the affectionate smile.

Harry knew who they were... James Potter and Lily Evans, the parents he lost, the ones who sacrificed themselves for him.

Harry felt a wave of dejavu taking over him as though he was driven back in time to his first year at Hogwarts, when he saw his parents for the first time ever since he was one year old.

Instead of looking back at his own reflection, the Mirror of Erised showed him the deepest and most desperate desire of his heart: he was granted the chance to spend his first and only Christmas with his family.

But this time now, it was much better. Harry could feel, really feel, them for the first time since.. ever since he could remember.

Still though, fear filled him up like a balloon that they would disappear, leaving him alone, between one eye-blink and the other.