21 | To Betray the Trust or not, that's the Question

His gaze fixed on the wooden door, Sirius resisted the urge to cry to his heart's content

His gaze fixed on the wooden door, Sirius resisted the urge to cry to his heart's content. Now that he had no one around, waves of grief rolled over him, threatening him from every side.

Even after all these years, the mere mention of his long-lost friends, especially James, would still sting him with heart-ache, no matter how much he tried to show otherwise.

However, he wasn't willing to give in that easily. Sirius heaved a deep sigh and blinked back the sparkling tears that had welled up in his eyes through his way up.

Determination overpowering his emotional heaviness, Sirius promised himself to never fail the Potters again.

Sirius wouldn't even fail himself, at least not for the second time.

Shoving those thoughts aside, Sirius cleared his throat and stepped into the headmaster's office after knocking and being allowed an entrance.

Sirius was greeted by the last person he would want to see at the moment, not that he had ever enjoyed his company.

Snivellus Snape was leaning forward, clutching his hands on one of the tables that held a vase of rare flowers.

A frown finding its way to his face, Sirius saw the pain that had been settled on Snape's expression. Abruptly in a flash though, Snape adopted his sneer back in place, to which Sirius raised a cold yet slightly amused eyebrow.

The headmaster eyed them carefully, expecting an explosion to erupt in the heart of his office. Sirius and Snape stood at their full heights, heads held high, exchanging the silent language of menacing glares.

It was nearly impossible to judge whose eyes reflected more hatred.

For moments running out, the tense silence rotating around the air was heavy to the extent of losing its harmonic balance.

Sirius wrinkled his nose in disgust, as though the grease in Snivellus' hair travelled all the way to him, leaving him with a sour distaste.

"Ah, Sirius," said Albus, breaking the silence. "How can I help you?"

Opposing his ever-growing desire to just finish off Snivellus first, Sirius reluctantly tore his steely gaze from Snape to focus instead on the headmaster.

"Trust me, I didn't come over here for some Sherbet Lemon," said Sirius, a small smirk playing on his lips, helping himself to a seat.

Having Snape in the room, Sirius had to show his carefree, not to mention superior, self in perfect portrayal.

"There's some serious business to attend to," said Sirius, hardening his expression, while his posture remained at ease.

"Indeed," sneered Snape, his voice cold resembling his facial expression.

Sirius closed his eyes as though in prayer to keep his self-control, which was already playing on the edge, at bay.

"What is it you need?" Albus asked in a heartbeat, before Sirius had the time to hex Snape.