4 | Death in Proximity

Readers, be aware... I mind-hop a lot here! Or let's say, throughout the whole story even, adopting the third-person omniscient point of view, in which the narrator knows the thoughts and feelings of all of the characters in the story.

Anyways, read along, and don't hate me ^^

It was as if time itself had stopped for mere moments

It was as if time itself had stopped for mere moments. The masked figure lifted his arm and mouthed two words. Sirius couldn't hear them over the drums of his heartbeats, but still he knew perfectly well what they meant. The jet of green light kept on approaching closer and closer, significantly slowly in a heavy progression of time.

This meant one thing: the downfall of his godson. He had made up his mind that this won't happen, not now, not ever. That's the one and only thing he would let himself die for, to stop it from happening.

***
Harry was growing more confused with every passing second. His knitted together eyebrows arched upward in amazement, and his eyes popped up with a dozen of questions after the sudden termination of the scolding. Of course, he wasn't looking forward to its continuation, but still something was undoubtedly fishy.

The dark pools of horror he saw in his godfather's eyes gave him the answer to his unsaid question. Reality dawned on Harry as he registered the vanishing of what little colour his godfather had in his face. Only then, the confusion in his eyes turned to realization and acceptance and just helplessness. He glanced sideways and closed his eyes while taking, what he knew would be his last, deep breath in and out.

Deep down, Harry always knew that there was nothing he could do to change his fate of early death.

Even if he tried to run away now, the curse would hit Sirius straight in the chest. He wouldn't, couldn't let that happen, no matter what. If he lost his life now and spared his godfather's, that would be a meaningful cause, after all.

He then looked up and gave Sirius what he hoped was a reassuring smile. He knew what would come next, and surprisingly, he felt ready for it.

***
The look on Harry's face snapped Sirius out of his temporary trance. The half-smile, sad smile gave Sirius the determination and power to come back to his senses.

In less than a second, he grabbed Harry by the shoulder and forced his head downward. He dropped him to the floor as he flung himself above him, covering Harry's body with his own, to protect him.

He didn't even know if he had done it on time or not. He was clueless whether he spared his godson's life at the last minute or was he too late for it.

***
Awaiting his fate, Harry felt his lightening bolt scar being split open. He could feel his pulse quicken, and he wondered if that would be the last time he would ever feel the blood running through his veins. Then suddenly, pain consumed every inch of his body that his eyes started watering. Harry couldn't even find his voice to scream. Was this what death felt like?