12 | Aftermath of the Mental Attack

Without looking away from Harry, Albus revealed some aspects of his theory

Without looking away from Harry, Albus revealed some aspects of his theory. "Voldemort possessed him, took control over his mind and by extension his actions." His face was calm but one could see the sorrow hidden behind.

It took a few moments for the message to sink in. The looks flickering over their faces varied all the way from amazement to worry to fear to pain.

Unable to remove his pained eyes from Harry, Sirius felt something shatter inside him, as the reality of the statement hit him hard.

After what felt like forever, Sirius finally found his voice and asked one of the questions racing in his head. "Why us?" He didn't have the guts to elaborate any further.

Albus understood what he meant and continued, tearing his gaze from Harry, "Ron ((Mr. Weasley, as he would have said it but it doesn't sound right in the context.)) is the ideal image of a friend in Harry's eyes. And you, Sirius, are the symbolic father figure, the real family he has. My theory is that Voldemort would want to break what Harry holds most dearly and he thought it would be more meaningful if he, Harry, himself destroyed it with his own hands."

"However, it is curious, very curious, how someone like Voldemort, who had never known love or friendship, could ever understand the meaning behind such powerful forces," Albus said thoughtfully.

"As for me, well, Voldemort and I aren't really friends, and he would do anything imaginable to have sight of my corpse," Albus said, no longer thoughtful, carrying on the grim instead.

The wise headmaster hesitated before adding as an afterthought, "however, the question still remains on how he found out Harry was alive in the first place."

"It may have escaped your notice, Albus, but it is apparent that the dark forces are infuriating Hogwarts from within," Arthur responded with a slightly irritated undertone.

Albus was silent for a moment before nodding, "indeed, I am afraid so. As for now, Harry will need support from all of you, especially because --being the person he is --the guilt could reach its breaking point and rip his soul apart," he continued grimly.

"But sir, I thought when possessed, the person doesn't remember anything," Hermione's inquisitive nature as always got the better of her, basing her claim on what she knew about Ginny's experience with Tom Riddle's diary.

"This is a bit different, Ms. Granger. Voldemort would want him to remember, and I am afraid that would be difficult on Harry... it will be something unbearably very heavy added on his shoulder that already has so much weight on." Albus said, his voice trailing off.

Suffocating silence met his words. All eyes were worry-driven and pain-filled.

When it seemed like no more words or explanatory answers were left unsaid, Madame Pomfrey rushed over and did what she does best asking everyone, except Harry and Sirius, to leave. After being reassured that he'll be fine, they did as they were told, excusing themselves politely knowing that it wasn't worth a try to argue.