Learning something new

Lance groaned and started to wipe the sleep from his eyes. He checked the clock 9:45am.
Crap, my mom will kill me for oversleeping.'Lance rolled out of bed, quickly got changed in his church clothes, and made his way downstairs.

--

“Lance you must eat. We need to leave in 15 minutes.” Lance’s mom spoke as she placed a plate of eggs and bacon in front of Lance.

“I will mama.” Lance started to eat, his eyes wandering around the table looking at his four sibling. His eyes focused on the empty seat at the table, 2 months today.

Lance’s father noticed where Lance was looking and cleared his throat “Lance do not dwell on that past.”

Lance looked at his father and nodded “I wasn’t.”

“Lance when you’re done eating, can you put the twins shoes on?” His mother asked from the kitchen.

“Sí mamá.” Lance took a small bite of his eggs and glanced at his wrist April 14th, 2017 so close yet so far away.

---

“Come on Emily, Lily, and Benji, get out of the car.” Lance ordered his sibling and he grabbed his youngest sister from the car seat.

Her name was Anna, she just turned 5 about 3 weeks prior. She didn’t talk much. Just sat there and listened to everyone. She resembled Lance, with matching skin tones and shoulder length curly brown hair.

Lance shifted Anna so she was on his hip “Emily and Lily did you grab your bibles?”

“Yes!” They both screamed and held there bibles up for Lance to see.

Lily and Emily were both 7, identical twins. They had caramel colored skin and long dark brown hair. They agreed on everything except Lily preferred the color pink and Emily preferred the color blue. This unfortunately did not sit well with the parents. While Lily got to enjoy pink, Emily never got anything blue since it was a “boy’s color.”

Lance smiled at the two girls and glanced at Benji who was adjusting his tie.

“Benji if you keep playing with that, I’ll have to retie it.” Lance patted Benji’s head.

Benji was 9, and was constantly full of energy. He was always smiling. He had slightly darker skin than his other siblings and had light brown hair.

“I’m sorry hermano.” Benji ran forward and walked with his parent.

“Okay,” Lance looked at his siblings, “let’s get going before we are late.” They all started walking towards the church.

-

Lance kneeled forward and started to pray. He could hear his father and mother praying along with his siblings. After a few minutes he sat back up on the bench, staring at the date on his wrist. Lance smiled to himself. In a few days he would met his soulmate. He knew that she would be the best thing that ever happened to him. He couldn’t wait to bring her home to met his family, and to hug and hold her. Lance smiled to himself and turned his attention back towards the pastor.

-

“Yet again another amazing service.” Lance’s mother said to the pastor as they were exiting the church.

“Thank you very much Mrs. McClain.”

“I am very happy you let us come back to the church.” She smiled as she wrapped her arm around her husband.

“Why of course, why should the entire family suffer for one child sins.” The pastor replied with a grin.

“Amen to that.” and they all made there way to the car.