Apologies

Lance started to feel better the longer Hunk was there. Lance could never really tell why but whenever he was around Hunk he just felt calmer. He didn’t feel like he needed to be perfect, he didn’t feel like he needed to impress him. Lance could just be himself.

“Hey Hunk I have a question for you.” Lance put his game controller down and Hunk followed suit.

“Yeah man, what’s up?” Hunk reached to grab a pizza roll from the plate between the two boys.

“Why have you never judged me?” Lance rolled on his back and avoided Hunk’s stare.

Hunk was quiet for a few moments before he spoke, “what do you mean Lance?”

“Well we’re different and you’ve never cared how different we are or were. You have never said anything bad regarding my faith or judged me for the things I do because of it. It’s also no secret that you are irritated with me because of how I treated Keith but you’ve never said anything about it. You’ve still been civile towards me while others haven’t.” Lance snuck a glance at his best friend and saw him lost in thought.

“Well Lance I think it’s because I understand that people are different and that's okay.” Hunk gave his friend a smile.

“But our views are so different, how can you deal with that?” Lance rolled over and faced his friend.

Hunk gave a small laugh, picked up his controller and started playing the game the two had been playing for an hour or two. “Respect. I respect your view because that is who you are as a person. It’s who you’ve grown to be and what you have been taught throughout your life. Yes, there are things that I wished we agreed on but I have accepted the fact that we don’t and you know what? That’s okay. I understand that you are an individual and have your own opinions. I don’t judge you because you have never judged me.”

Lance blinked at Hunk a few times, processing what he just said to him. “Is that really why?”

Hunk nodded and Lance sighed in relief. “Hunk you are an amazing friend.”

Hunk laughed in response.

---

Dinner felt off that night, which didn’t make since to Lance considering Hunk had been over for dinner for years. Yet the atmosphere felt tight and Lance wasn’t exactly sure why. Keep it together Lance, nobody knows about the picture and nobody knows about what you did or who you're involved with.

Lance looked over at Hunk, who was chatting with Emily and Lily, and then looked at his parents, who were having a conversation through eyebrow lifts across the table.

Lance felt his pocket buzz and pulled out his phone to receive a text from Katie.

(6:43) Katie: Can you call me when you get a chance?

Lance started to type his response but his mother told him to put his phone away and Lance shoved it back in his pocket.