Emotions and talking

Lance's fingers glided over his phone screen as his fingers typed out a response.

(6:45) Lance: Hey Mullet.

Lance quickly added Keith to his contact as Mullet, just in case someone goes through my phone, and made his way over to his desk, pulling out his homework. He was working for about three minutes when his phone vibrated on his bed. Lance rolled his chair back to his bed and check his phone, fighting back a giggle when his eyes read the message.

(6:49) Mullet: Are you ever gonna drop that nickname? I don't even have a mullet

(6:50) Lance: Yes, yes you do Keith and no I will NEVER drop it. It's a cute name

Lance put his phone in his lap and swiveled back to his desk, picking up his history notebook. I really hope he doesn't consider this flirting. Lance shook his head and started to read his notes for his essay. He was halfway down the page when his phone vibrated again and Lance quickly grabbed his phone.

(6:54) Mullet: If that's cute, I don't wanna know your other nicknames.

(6:55) Mullet: But moving on, are you okay now? You looked really, idk upset? That's not the word I'm looking for but that Rolo guy seemed to bother you a lot.

Lance didn't reply, he simply put his phone down and continued writing his essay, work now text later.

---

Lance sighed and stood from his chair, stretching the muscles down his back and arms. "Finally done," Lance grabbed his plate, his mother graciously brought him dinner and headed down stairs. It was around 8:30ish and the twins were watching T.V and his mother was sitting with them reading the Bible, her left hand holding the cross around her neck, her fingers rubbing against the smooth metal. Lance scanned the room for Benji, knowing that he would be awake at this time but shrugged it off when he couldn't find the younger boy.

Lance continued his journey to the kitchen and placed his dishes in the sink, opening the fridge and pouring himself a cup of ice tea. He slowly closed the fridge door and nearly screamed bloody murder when his mother appeared right behind it.

"Ah, um hey mom." Lance fumbled for his words and gazed down at the floor.

"Lance, hunny I hope you forgive us for telling our pastor you're....issue." She gently touched Lance's shoulder and urged his gaze at her's.

Lance nodded, "I just wished you would have let me tell him. This is my life and my battle I'm facing. I just thought that if anyone was to tell people about this problem it would have been me."

Soft arms enveloped Lance and Lance placed his glass on the counter and wrapped his arms around the smaller woman, placing his head on top of hers. He felt the arms pull him closer and Lance squeezed his mother tighter. "You do understand that I'm trying to protect you right?"

Lance nodded and mumbled into his mother's hair. "Yes, I understand."

The older woman pulled away from her son and smiled through the tears that were decorating her eyes. She placed her hand on her son's cheek and Lance leaned into her mother's warmth. " Mi hijo(son), you are making me so proud. You are making God proud right now, you are defeating a horrible sin every single day. You are so strong and you are showing your siblings that if you're strong enough you can defeat anything the Devil throws your way." Lance reached up and wiped his mother's eyes and she cried slightly harder.

"Mom, please don't cry, I don't like it when people cry." Lance wiped the newly formed tears and fought back his own. I just made my mom cry, I'm the worst person ever.