Lost

Lance stared out the window in Hunk’s car. The radio was on but Lance wasn’t listening to the song. He couldn’t shake the feeling that something bad was going to happen to him. Not like he was going to get beat up more like the feeling you get when you do something bad and your mom is going to yell at you.

“So Lance are you going to get your usual?” Katie adjusted her glasses as she gave Lane a side glance.

Lance pulled his eyes from the window and looked at Katie. “Yeah, probably.”

Katie nodded and then looked down at her phone. Lance looked out the window again. He watched the houses pass by and the trees. He saw someone walking their dog and an elderly couple walking down the street holding hands. Lance stared at the couple's hands.

He wanted something like that. He wanted someone to grow old with and spend time with. He wanted to be in love.

Lance stopped registering what he was seeing through the window and became lost in thought. He didn’t register the street signs, he didn’t register the trees that they drove by. He didn’t even register when Hunk stopped the car at the ice cream place.

“Lance you getting out of the car?” Hunk tapped on his window and Lance looked up at his friend and nodded. Everyone was already out of the car and Katie was already paying for her order. Lance opened the door and stretched as soon as he stood up.

It was a nice day. The weather was warm and the wind was cool enough to not make you shiver. The sun was out but the clouds made it so it wasn’t that bright. Lance took off his jacket and placed it in the car, it was too nice out of that thing. Lance heard a noise and looked up and saw a bird that was flying over him and smiled If only life would be that easy.

Lance heard someone clear their throat and saw Hunk motioning him over to the register. Lance moved his legs forward and made his way to the register. He completely skipped over the menu and looked straight at the girl working.

Lance had to blink a few times, she was gorgeous. Her blond hair was tired into a high ponytail and she had purple eyes. Lance was going to question until he realized that they were contacts. She had a soft face and a sweet smile. Lance’s eyes moved down to her name tag and read Nyma. “Can I help you?” She smiled brightly at Lance.

Lance looked at her face one more time and smile back. “Yeah! Can I have a medium soft twist with chocolate chips.”

“Of course!” Lance watched Nyma click a few buttons on the register. “That will be $3.27 please.”

Lance could've swore that she winked at him and felt a blush form over his face. He reached to grab his wallet and pulled out a $5 bill. He handed it over to Nyma and winked back but he watched her face fall. He glanced down and saw that she was staring at the name on his wrist.

Nyma seemed to recover and take the $5’s from Lance’s hand. “So Keith, that’s a nice name. When did you meet him?”

“A few weeks ago.” Lance glance at the name, he hadn’t looked at it in days, it still looked as vibrant as when it formed that day. “Well he must be a very lucky guy to have someone as charming as you with him. Here’s your change, $1.73.” Nyma turned around and started to make his order.

Lance put his change in the tip jar and watched Nyma move over to the topping station. Why couldn’t I have gotten someone like that? Why does the name have to be in a location where everyone can see it? Camillia could always hide hers, damn it.

“Here you go, and have a lovely day.” She gave him a forced smile.

Lance gave a small smile back and took the ice cream from her hands. “Thank you,” and he turned to walk to where his friends were sitting.