Questions

Lance was sitting across from Keith, who had his arms across his chest, his eyes digging into Lance like he was trying to figure out something.

Lance stared back at Keith. He looked tired, like he hadn't slept in days. Maybe he hadn't. Lance felt guilt start to creep up his throat but he quickly shoved it down.

“So why do you want to talk to me mullet?”

Lance watched Keith process his nickname and he stared harder at Lance.

“What the fuck is your problem?” Keith's voice was harsh and he spit the words out like they tasted awful.

Lance blinked a few time. “I don't have a problem.”

“Yeah and I am not wearing a red jacket. Don't play dumb with me Lance. Why the hell would you punch me? I'm your soulmate after all!”

Lance nearly ran out of the room when he heard the word ‘soulmate’. Sure it was true but Lance didn't want to hear it. “I will not let my soul mate be a guy. I'm not a sinner and I will never take part on a sin.”

Keith's face shifted from hatred to confusion. “What do you mean a ‘sinner’?” His voice still contained the harshness but it was lighter than before.

Lance dragged his hand down his face “Do I seriously have to spell it out for you? I'm. Not. Gay. I will never be gay especially for someone like you.”

Keith looked like he was just slapped. His jaw dropped as he looked at the boy in front of him. After a few moments Keith shut his mouth, clenching his jaw and tightening his hand into a fist. “So what you are say is that you would only give me a chance if I was a girl?”

Lance nodded, “Yeah because I would not be going against my beliefs if I was with a girl.”

Keith processed what Lance said and carefully chose his next words. “You won’t even give me a chance now?”

Lance narrowed his eyes at the boy. “No way in hell.”

Neither of them spoke for a few minutes, the atmosphere becoming awkward. Lance took this time to actually look at Keith. He didn’t realize how fair his skin actually was and how silky his hair looked. He didn’t realize that his eyes were a grayish purple, and how Lance started to get lost in them. Lance felt like he was staring up at the galaxy on a summer night. Or watching the snow fall on a cold winter day. Lance didn’t even realize that he was staring at Keith's eyes until Keith spoke.

“Can I at least know why you think you’re ‘sinning’?”

Lance pulled his eyes away from Keith’s and swallowed. I just got lost in his eyes. What is wrong with me? Lance reached up and grabbed his cross. “It’s against what I believe in, what the church believes in and what my family believes in.” Lance’s voice was coated in confidence.

“I take it you go to a conservative church.” Keith's voice was plagued with slight disgust.

Now it was Lance’s time to act like he was slapped. No one talks bad about his church. “I go to a normal church. That teaches normal things.”

Keith started to laugh, hard. Lance just started at him. “Why are you laughing?!”

Keith laughed a few second longer before he inhaled and wiped his eyes. “You say your church is normal. Yet every church I have been in had preached love over hatred because you know ‘Thou shalt not hate’ or whatever.”

Lance bit his tongue. “I’m not arguing with someone that doesn’t know what they are talking about.”

Keith shrugged “Whatever.”