Chapter 10 - Memories

Mai's POV

I woke up to birds chirping and sun shining right into my eyes.Groaning, I sat up and opened my eyes, revealing a clearing in the forest.

"What the...was I sleep walking again?" I murmured, thinking back to the last night while looking at the clearing once again.

"I don't remember ever being here...Oh who am I kidding, I have a damn amnesia, of course I can't remember things!"I yelled, throwing myself backwards and landing on the grass.

I heard a silent chuckle after groaning because sun was, yet again, shining in my freaking eyes!

I stood up immediately and took out a red scroll, dragging my fresh, bleeding wound over it.It turned into a huge sword with a black blade and a beautiful red handle.

"Who's there!Show yourself or I'll have no other choice but to consider you an enemy and kill you!"I yelled, holding the handle tightly.

After a second or two, a person with long black silky hair walked out of the bushes, holding their hands up in the air.
They carried a basket and had a pink kimono on, but that wasn't enough to foul me.This kindly looking girl with dark hair could foul a regulars naked eye and probably a lot of ninjas, but there was one thing not fitting in.

The eyes.

Those eyes were as dark as the night and looked so so pained, not a single person could be innocent with those eyes, not to mention a cross dressed guy.

I followed his movements closely as he circled around me.

'What do I do?I know that this guy is no good, but I have no idea if he is powerful or not, nor do I know if he can read the suspicion in my eyes'
I thought, gripping my sword to the point where my hands started bleeding.

Haku's POV

I walked out in the clearing, my hands high in the air as I walked around her.
Seeing her pointing her gigantic sword at me made me wanna hug my knees and brake down in tears, but I held myself back.

I still can't believe she has an amnesia and is acting just the way she did the very first time we met...

Flashback to 6 years ago
3rd POV

A small girl, about 7 with oddly colored hair walked through the forest, on her own, in a big black coat.

"Crow-nee?Fishy-chan?Where are you guys?"she said in her cute little voice.

Silence.

"Ita-kun?Kisa-chan?Did Deidei blow you up or something?"she asked, laughing a bit.

Silence again.

"Itachi-san?Kisame-san?Are you there?"she asked, worried for her partners.

Yet again, nothing but silence.

"Haha, very funny.You can come out now!I figured out your little joke!"she laughed nervously.

"Crowman and fishsticks!Come out this instant!This sick joke of yours is starting to make me worry!"she yelled into the forest with all her might, but didn't get a response.She fell to her knees and kept on biting her fingers, stopping herself from crying.

All of a sudden, the young girl heard something coming from the bushes.
She jumped up and took out a scroll from her pouch, dragging it across her bleeding finger and turning it into a silver sword that was twice her own size.

"Come out before I come and kill you!"she yelled, as if she didn't want to cry two seconds ago.

Leaves rustled as a boy who was around her age walked out of the bushes, his hands held high in the air.

He had dark hair and pale skin.
But, what stood out wasn't his long hair or unhealthy white skin, but his eyes instead.
They were beautiful, like dark midnight sky, but without any stars, without any hope or light.
They held so so much sadness, it pained the girl to look at them.
All she wanted to do was drop the sword and hug him tightly, letting him sob into her shoulder as much as he wanted, but she couldn't.
She was paralyzed.
He reminded her so much of her brother that it hurt.
A silent tear rolled down her cheek for the first time in years as a choked sob escaped her lips. She knew she was supposed to be a cold hearted criminal, but she couldn't help crying.

Then, just like that, she dropped her sword, still being sad cause of not being able to see her oni-chan, falling to her knees and breaking down in tears.The boy couldn't help walking to her and hugging her tightly, letting her sob into his shoulder.

"I know you are a complete stranger and everything, but I'm sure that whatever happened is not worthy your tears"he softly whispered, looking down at her.
"O-oni-chan...I'm so so s-s-sorry.I'm sorry I c-c-can't b-b-be there f-f-for you anym-m-more..."she sobbed.
"I am sorry to ask, but, what happened to your oni-chan?"the curiosity took the best of him as he looked at her.
She looked up at him with teary eyes and saw the eyes her brother used to look at her with.
"...I w-was all h-he h-h-had a-and I...I wasn't t-t-there when he needed-d m-m-me...he is dead and its all my fault!"she yelled, throwing her head backwards and crying harder.
"It's all my fault"she whispered, looking down, more tears streaming down her face as she clutched her black coat tightly.

All he could do was look at her with wide eyes.
'She has no family either, just like me...' he thought saddened.
'She doesn't deserve that sadness, that sorrow and pain, she is just a little girl' he thought again, still hugging her even though she hung her head low, a nonemotional expression on her face.

He picked up her chin, forcing her to look at his dark eyes.

"I know you are hurt, but no matter what happened to you before, no matter how much you suffered on your own, you don't have to anymore.
I am here for you now.
I am your friend"he said.

"R-really? *sniff* "she sniffed, looking at him with her big brown eyes.
"*chuckle* really.I'm Haku by the way"he smiled.
"Mai!Nice to meet you, dattebayo!"she yelled with a toothy grin.
They played everyday until after a month, he disappeared and her partners found her.

Flashback ends

Still Haku's POV

"Hey Mai, good to see you again"I said with a smile.
"Who are you and how do you know my name!"she yelled, shaking.That hurt me so so bad, I was so near to breaking down and hugging my knees.
'Remember Haku, she has an amnesia.It's completely normal that she doesn't remember you' I thought to myself in hope it will calm me down, but it only made me think.
'What if she never remembers me?' thinking this only made things worse and forced a single tear to roll down my cheek.

Mai's POV

'How the hell does he know my name?
Why did he smile at me?
Why is he crying?
Why do I feel like hugging him and crying with him?
Why does he feel so familiar?
Why?'

Questions raced through my mind as I stared at the strange boy, tears rolling down his cheeks.

"Doesnt matter, you'll find out some day" he shook his head and smiled at me and before I knew it, he was in front of me.

"*whisper* Hope we meet again soon.Bye, Mai"he whispered into my ear before kissing my forehead gently and disappearing.

I just stood there for a few seconds before walking in the direction I thought Tazuna's house was in.