Chapter 31 - ENOIMPTTL

A/N: to anyone and everyone confused by the title, I put only the first letter of each word because it would've been way too long otherwise ( the whole title: Every Next One Is More Painful Than The Last )

Recap:

Feeling my eyes getting droopy and my head kinda heavy, I looked around to see people lying unconscious left and right.

"Oh no"I yawned, forming the right hand seal.

"Release"I mumbled. Just as the word left my mouth, my head snapped right up. Looking around, I rushed to my feet as soon as I saw a cloud of smoke rising from the Kage's balcony.

'*growl* I knew there was something wrong' I clenched my fist and was about to run to the rescue when ninjas from Sand and Sound started attacking the Leaf ones and only than did I realize what was happening.

"We are under attack"

Mai's POV

"Get down!"a yell rang through my ears as someone pushed me to the ground, a metal clash sounding from the background. Turning around, I met the bright emerald eyes of my teammate as she rolled off of me to lie right by my side.

"What was that for?!"I whisper-yelled as she shrugged.

"I saw a kunai flying at your head and saved you, a thank you would be nice"she said sarcastically, making me roll my eyes as I got up and peered over an unconscious person's shoulder. My eyes widen as I watched Yukie-sensei, Grandpa and Bowl Cut Senior staring at a group of sound ninja and a member of ANBU, all of their muscles stiff.

Ayane's POV ( really short )

"Kakashi, Yukie, look there, inside the barrier"the man in a green jumpsuit spoke as his stare fell upon the Kage balcony. The said pair's eyes widen as they look at the direction he pointed out and Yukie-sensei's fist clenches tightly.

"Orochimaru"she said through gritted teeth. As the single word registered in my mind, my blood ran cold and my eyes widened in horror as past memories flooded their way in.

'W-why the bloody hell did you come back?After everything you've done to me, to her, it still wasn't enough to satisfy your hunger?!' my mind raced as I fell onto my butt while clutching my head.

Back to Mai's POV

Trying my best to ignore the curiosity the unknown person's name sparked within my head, I look to the side to see Ayane in a panicked state.

'I hope she'll be alright, I hate to admit it but we need her help right now' I thought as I got up, scanning the rows for anyone who needed help before my eyes stopped on Cherry.

Reacting on sheer reflex, I leaped forward, my black sword already out and ready to slice the upcoming enemy as I shield the weakest of team 7. I cut through the ninja like they were nothing before looking at the white haired female.

"Watch that pink head of yours while we take care of them, Sakura"I smiled faintly at my sensei's words as she silently gave me the permission to fight.

Jumping away I fought some more of them before returning to the blond I came to know as my best friend over the last couple of month. Just looking at her current state made me cringe since I've never really seen her like this before. Having no other idea of what I should do, I crouched down next to her, patting her back awkwardly with a sad smile as her teary green orbs met my smiling face.

"It's okay, whatever happened before is in the past so forget it and lets fight together like we always do, alright?"my eyes shone with hope as she sniffed before smiling a little.