Chapter 28 - First Day Out ( Chuunin Exams Part 8 )

A week timeskip
Mai's POV

"I'm finally free!"I yelled, excitedly taking the release paper from the nurse.

"Please calm down miss, you won't be released until your boyfriend comes to get you"she chuckled, handing me the document as I choked on my spit.

"B-boyfriend?"I stuttered, blushing the shade of my hair.

"Yes, you know, ocean blue eyes, blond hai- oh, speaking of the devil"she laughed, turning to the door as someone knocked on it. I stood up, walking to the door and swinging it open. Just as I was about to yell at Oni-chan, a voice cut me off.

"Mai, I'm so glad you're alright, I was worried sick!"the unknown yet familiar voice spoke as two arms wrapped around me, pulling me into his chest.

"It's me from the Akatsuki, act natural"he whispered in my ear, pretending to kiss my cheek.

"Glad to see you too"I went with the act, wrapping my arms around him.

"Good girl"he smirked before faking a smile as he pulled away, letting me have a look at his pale face. I smiled too as he turned to the nurse and bowed.

"Thank you for taking care of her"he spoke, making her smile warmly.

"It was my pleasure"she replied, giving a bow back. Smiling yet again, he took my hand in his before we excited the hospital and disappeared in a puff of smoke.

Somewhere else...
3rd POV

A bit of smoke clouded a small clearing as 2 figures appeared in the middle of it. Then, as it started to clear, the girl jumped away, creating some distance between them. Reaching out behind her, she was too slow to follow the boy's movement as he had already dismissed his genjutsu and appeared behind her, gripping her hands in a knot above her head as he pressed her back against a tree, holding the kunai she took out dangerously close to her exposed neck.

"*snickers while shaking head*seems you haven't recovered your memories of me yet.*sighs*never mind that, for now, lets discuss what you have to do"he spoke as he let go of her and created a soundproof barrier around them.

"What might that be?"she questioned, rubbing her wrists.

"You are going to meet me a little further away from the gates roughly 2 months from now. By the time we meet, you need to make sure that they all know who you are and what you've done in the past 7 years as well as not get followed, and oh yeah, I'll continue watching over you like I have this the whole time"he explained, making her eyes widen.

"Wait, don't I get a say in any of that?"she looked at him confused as he shook his head.

"No, Pain-sama gives orders and we obey or get punished"he said, making the motion of slicing his neck with his hand.

"Guess I have no choice then...well, see you lat-"she was ready to call him by a ridiculous nickname when he cut in.

"Haruki"he said hopefully, preying she won't say what he thinks she will.

"Ink-head"she finished, making him literally drop.

'Really?!Doesn't remember A SINGLE THING about me, but still calls me that?!' he mentally yelled as she looked at him oddly.

"Ummm, are you alright?"she asked hesitantly as he stood up.

"I'm fine!"he replied sarcastically, releasing the barrier.

"Now, remember you ha-"he continued but was soon cut off.

"Yeah, yeah, do as told or else"she spoke bitterly, walking away.