Chapter 24 - See You Later ( Chuunin Exams Part 4 )

Haku's POV

As our fight with rain ninjas continued, I couldn't help but notice that the girl who went after me is distancing our fight from the other's. As if on cue, I felt a demonic energy flowing from one spot in waves. Turning, I saw creatures running away from the direction it was coming from.

'I need to end this and quick, before either of them gets hurt' I thought, taking out a needle and smiling apologetically at the furious female in front of me.

"Sorry for this"I said and before she had a chance to argue, the needle I was once holding implanted itself into her neck. Not wasting another second, I sprinted towards the place where we separated and where Mai undoubtedly is right now.

As I neared the location, the dark chakra from before started fading, making me hurry in panic.

As I arrived at the scene, my eyes widened in pure horror. There, on the floor, lied Mai, a big bloody sword as well as 3 scrolls laying not far from her, a shocked Ayane on the other side of the clearing. Having no time to waste, I picked up the unconscious girl.

"Lets go"I stated, making my blond teammate nod before picking up the scrolls and following me to a big hole at the base of a tree trunk. I placed Mai's limp body inside before going out.

"I'll go outside and get us something to eat as well as make this a small shelter while you take care of her, alright?"I looked back at Ayane, making her nod again.

Ayane's POV

After Haku left, I undid Mai's kimono to have a better look at the wound but as soon as I did, the blood started pooling around her pale body. Without thinking, I took out a white cloth and pressed it to the bloody hole.

Not a minute later, I realised that my efforts were to no avail as I helplessly tried to stop the massive bleeding that the purple haired guy caused to my friend.

Suddenly remembering what she told us before the exam, I took out a white scroll with a red cross from her backpack before dragging it over the big gash in her abdomen. In a poof of smoke, a first aid kit was in front of me. Getting to work right away, I stopped the bleeding by pressing a ton of gauze on the injury before disinfecting it and wrapping it in bandages.

I was about to get her dressed once again when I noticed the blood stains that covered her kimono almost completely. Without a second thought, I took a scroll out of her backpack that had 'Clothes' written on it. Dragging one of the bloody gauzes over it, I groaned as yet another smoke cloud appeared. After it cleared up, I was free to see yet another outfit my teammate owns.

'Just how many different outfits does she own?!' I thought, my eye twitching in annoyance.

Quickly taking the old clothes off and replacing them by new ones, I lied her back to get some rest

"I'm back"I heard Haku say as I wiped some sweat off of my forehead. Turning around, I sighed in relief to see that he had only a few minor injuries.

"She's gonna be fine once that wound heals"I answered his unasked question as he sat beside me, offering me 2 smoked fish that I gladly accepted.

"What now?"I asked once we were both done eating.

"You get some sleep while I keep watch. Then, after a few hours, we switch, okay?"he said, making me nod before turning around and lying next to Mai.

"Night Haku, night Mai"I yawned.

"Night Ayane, night Mai"he chuckled.

Somewhere else...
??? POV

I couldn't hear anything, I couldn't see anything and everything I could feel was that I was lying on a liquid surface.

Then, all of a sudden, I heard a drop hitting the surface, making me snap my eyes open.

The scenery was very dark and I could see a figure standing in front of a giant cage. Standing up, I narrowed my eyes, walking towards the person, my eyes widening as soon as I noticed the long bright red hair.

"Mai?"I said in disbelief. She turned around, looking confused.

"Yeah?"she asked and not a second later, my eyes watered as I ran to her full speed, hugging her to death.

"I-i can't breath"she breathed out, weakly grabbing at my arms. I quickly let go and took a step back to look at her. She closed her eyes and breathed in and out deeply a few times before reopening them. Her beautiful brown orbs widened as they scanned my figure, before landing on my blue ones.

"M-mom?"she stuttered, looking at me hopefully. I only nodded as joyful tears streamed down my face.

"Mom!"she screamed, tackling me in a tight hug that I immediately returned.

"You're so beautiful, just like me!"I grinned and she giggled, standing up before helping me do the same.

"Well, well, well, if it isn't Uzumaki Kushina" a dark voice was heard from behind the huge metal bars. We turned around to see a giant red eye looking at us.

"Hey Kurimi, long time no see!"Mai grinned looking at the demon.

"Eh?"I asked, looking at them both very confused.

"This is Kurimi, the female nine-tailed fox that is sealed within me and my lifelong friend!"she smiled at me as the fox grumbled in response. I was at a loss for words. I mean, you don't hear your daughter that you never met befriended a demon that used to be sealed inside of you before it killed both you and your husband, not to mention half of the village!

Looking up, I saw my little girl arguing with the demon fox as if they were even.

'My little girl has grown so much' I thought, my gaze falling to my hands that slowly started fading.

"Sweety, I'm afraid our time is up"I watched as her face formed into one of sadness.

"Already?"she asked, tears threatening to fall.

"Yeah"I choked, putting my hands on her shoulders.

"Mai, me and your father may not be with you and your brother, but always remember one thing: we love you both, with all our heart"I said, kissing her forehead.

"I love you too mom, see you later. Say hi to dad for me, kay?"she smiled.

"I will"I smiled as my vision blurred and my figure disappeared.

Hey! I know its been a while and I don't really have an excuse, but oh well! Guess I'll see you all next chapter annnd...

You're the best,
Don't let others get you down,
Stay awesome,
Love you all,
~Maja-chan!