41- The Day Before The End Of The World

********

********

Leo let out a loud, "ARG!" When he, Hazel and Frank arrived back onto the ship to see me standing there.

"ARG to you too Valdez," I grinned at him. He huffed.

"Did you guys get the curse thingy?" Percy asked.

Leo nodded and held up a flower, "I'm going to go put this somewhere safe."

Hazel pulled me into a hug, "it's good to see you Ri." She said.

The others nodded along with her.

"I'm going to ask the question we're all thinking though," Frank piped up, "why did you go?"

I bit my lip, "I had some stuff to work out." I answered after a short silence.

Everyone looked at me, as if hoping for more. I didn't offer any other explanation. They still looked at me.

"It's not important I swear!" Lies, "I'll tell you all soon." More lies.

All of them but Annabeth seemed convinced.

"So where are we headed now?" Jason looked towards Leo who was standing at the helm programming coordinates.

Leo didn't look up from his console, "To find Apollo's son Asclepius..."

"Oh joy," I interrupted.

"...who can make the Physician's Cure for us." Leo continued, ignoring me.

********

"Oh that's beautiful!" Leo exclaimed as we descended over some ruins.

"GIVE ME THIRTY PUSH-UPS!"

"POSEDION'S SWEATY UNDERWEAR!" I yelled in suprise. Buford the wonder table had just clattered onto deck, with a mini holographic Coach Hedge standing on it's surface.

"Ah yes that's our new chaperone," Annabeth laughed at me.

"Because that's totally normal and not at all disturbing." I grumbled.

"I said the exact same thing," Percy agreed, "but Hedge insisted."

Leo used a grabber arm to open up some mechanical lock in the ruins and he, Jason and Piper went down into the tunnels.

That left five of us on board the boat. Hazel and Frank drifted below deck. But Percy and Annabeth seemed unwilling to let the sky out of their sights.

"How are you guys doing?" I asked them, "I mean, after everything."

They exchanged a look, "I guess we're okay." Annabeth said.

I gave a bitter laugh, "that's a flat out lie."

Percy grimaced, "you're right with that one."

"Just trying not to think about it really," Annabeth shrugged, "trying to focus on the world ending."

"Now that," I pointed at her, "is a healthy attitude."

********

The three in the tunnels returned not too long later.

"I don't like it," Jason confessed, "The way Asclepius looked at Leo..."

"He just sensed my heartache, I'm dying to see Calypso," Leo gave a small smile.

"That is so sweet," Piper said, "but I'm sure it's not that."

Percy glowered at the red vial, seeming to accuse it for all his problems, "Any of us might die right? So we just need to keep it handy."

"Assuming only one of us dies," Jason said morbidly.

"Well that's a bit of a grim thought," I murmured, "but we have to keep our options open."

"Someone should carry the potion, someone who can react quickly and heal whoever gets killed," Piper suggested.

"Good idea." Leo grinned, "Beauty Queen, I nominate you!"

Piper blinked, "no, I..."

"Leo's right," Annabeth cut her off, "when the time comes, you'll know what to do."

Everyone murmured their approval, Leo handed the vial to Piper, all wrapped up in a cloth.

"Athens tomorrow morning gang," Leo said in a happy flappy tone, "be ready to fight some Giants."

"Yay!" I said sarcastically.

"Well I know I'll sleep well," Frank murmured.

Everyone finished their dinner and headed off to bed.

I stayed sat in the mess hall for a long time after everyone was gone.

Subconsciously my hands had snaked around my stomach, protecting my child. But I wouldn't be able to protect them tomorrow. I had to fight. I couldn't back down from this one, no matter what.

Woa! Two updates on a Wednesday what am I playing at?!
Remember to vote, comment and ship Apri!
~Em xx