77- Hi Ho, Hi Ho, To Tartarus We Go!

Cai

Cai

I wiped the few tears that I had allowed to fall and turned to Hades.

"How do I get to Tartarus?" I demanded.

Hades blinked, "you're not actually going after Nyx. I know you're new to this god thing, but Nys is a Primordial being, and you're a god. That's suicide."

"Do you really think that I'm a god?" I asked, raising one single eyebrow.

Hades crossed his arms, "well, what else am I supposed to call you? You're not a Primordial, a Titan or a god. You're not even a demigod. Tell me, Caius, what exactly is it that you are."

"I'm Caius," I replied, "and I want to know where Tartarus is."

"If you're really sure," Hades sighed, he moved forward and tapped me on the head hard, pushing me back so that I overbalanced and fell back. Once I regained my balance, Hades was gone. So was his palace. In fact, the entire scenery had changed drastically.

I was in Tartarus.

Apollo
In no time, I found myself striding up towards Hades who was sitting in his throne looking tired.

"How did I know that you'd be here?" Hades asked sarcastically.

"Perhaps because you just took my wife from me," I pointed out.

"Apollo, I am the god of the dead, not the god of death," Hades pointed out, "I didn't take her, I simply opened my gates to her. If it makes you feel any better, she's in Elysium."

"Why would that make me feel better?" I demanded, "can I please have my wife back?"

"Apollo, you have had many mortal lovers throughout the ages. Yes, you said that you would love Ariadne forever, but we are gods. Forever is a long time when you're immortal."

"Hades," I growled, "let me see my wife."

"I can't," I could now see that Hades had pain behind his eyes.

"Why can't you?" I narrowed my eyes.

"Because Ariadne specifically asked me not to let you see her," said Hades.

For the first time in my very long life, I found myself utterly lost for words. Completely stuck for something to say. There was no haiku or sonnet that I could compose to portray my feelings, no mournful Valdezanator tune.

Hades' words seemed to rattle around my empty skull, repeating over and over. She didn't want to see me. She didn't want to see me. Why didn't she want to see me? Didn't she love me as I loved her? Didn't she know how much I missed her?

"Ariadne wants you to help Caius," Hades said quietly after quite some time, "she wants you to make sure that he doesn't die."

"Caius," I repeated. Once again I had forgotten about the only thing that I had left of Ri. Her son. My son. Who I still hadn't met, who I'm sure was beyond wonderful. "She wants me to help Caius defeat Nyx?"

"Yes," said Hades.

"Why can't she tell me this herself?" I demanded.

Hades shook his head, "Ariadne has her reasons. I won't pretend to understand them, because that girl is way beyond explanation, but I will do as she asks. She lived a hero and died a hero, no matter what I will respect her wishes."

I swallowed a large lump in my throat, feeling a pang in my now empty heart. "So will I. Point me in the direction of Tartarus please Hades."

#CouncilorHades
Remember to vote, comment and be amazing!
~Em xx