76- Cai Goes To The Underworld

Cai

Cai

It took me some time to locate the entrance to the underworld. I did not know where it was, and I knew that no one would tell me as they would know what I was planning to do.

But eventually, I found the entrance situated in Central Park. I opened the entrance by humming a tune and hurried down to the underworld.

I made it through the underworld undetected, moving quickly and silently towards Hades' palace which was easily visible in the distance. No monster or spirit dared to come near me, I easily made it to the gates of Hades' palace.

With a simple flick of my hand, the gates were open, and I passed through into the throne room.

Hades sat on his throne as if he were anticipating my arrival, which I'm sure he was, this was his domain, he would know everything that happened here.

I continued walking, and stopped just in front of the steps that led to Hades' throne, and stood with my head tilted up to him, staring right at the god's dark eyes, that were almost as dark as my own.

"I want her back," I said, after a while of standing in silence.

Hades regarded me strangely for a moment, "no," he said eventually.

"I'm the god of life dammit, and I want my mother back!" I exploded, throwing my hands in the air.

"And I am the god of death, and she is dead, therefore she is mine," Hades replied coldly.

"If you're the god of death, that means you can give her back to me!" I yelled, my sadness overwhelming me, and my voice beginning to sound hysterical, "it's not fair! She wasn't supposed to die, I was supposed to protect her from death!"

"Cai," a calming voice said from behind me, I whirled around, and there she was, my mother, "Cai you need to calm down."

She held her hands out for me, and I took them. The minute that we made contact I tumbled forwards and fell into her arms, letting her wrap me in a hug.

"This is my fault!" I cried into her shoulder.

"No," she replied stubbornly, "never think that Cai. This is not your fault," she broke awake from the hug, and looked up at me, staring determinedly into my eyes, "if it's anyone's fault it's mine, I was reckless like I always am, I didn't think about the consequences. I should have known that she'd come for me, I don't serve any purpose anymore."

"But you do have a purpose, you're supposed to be there for me!" I whined.

"That's exactly why she came after me. She wants to get to you, to change you. You must promise me, Cai, that you will never let her get to you."

"I promise."

My mother let out a sad sigh, "I'm sorry that I won't be able to be there for you, or for Apollo. I'm sorry that I won't be able to protect you from my mother," she sighed again, "I'm sorry that things turned out this way Cai."

I couldn't speak, I bit the inside of my cheeks in an attempt to hold back tears, I hadn't cried since I found out about her death, but now hot tears rolled down my face again.

"Don't cry!" She exclaimed, "if you cry I'll start crying!" She pulled me in for another hug, holding me close. Even though her embrace was familiar, there was something wrong about it, I could sense the death that hung around her. There was no life here.

When my tears ceased, we broke apart again and she looked at me with serious eyes, keeping her hands on my shoulders.

"Cai, I know you're sad, but I need you to listen to me, there are a few things that you need to do for me, do you think you can do that?"

"I'll do anything for you," I replied.

"Firstly, you can't tell your father. He can't know that I'm gone until he's immortal again," she told me.

"Why?" I frowned, I couldn't understand why she would want to keep her death a secret from him, wouldn't my father want to know?

She bit her lip, "I don't want him to have the option of following me if he knows and he's mortal then..." She trailed off, but I understood what she was trying to say. My father had lived a long life, and loved many people, one more heartbreak could be enough for him to want to stop it if he had the choice to.

"Secondly," she ploughed on, recovering quickly from what she last said, "you need to take Nyx down, if you don't she'll never stop trying to get you."

"Okay," I said in a small voice. She smiled, and held one of my hands in hers, whilst with her other hand she caressed my cheek as she faded away into the nothingness that she had come from.

Merry Monday! Who else wishes that they were in bed right now!
Remember to vote, comment and be amazing!
~Em xx